Turmeric benefits your skin in many ways. It heals wounds, treats acne and psoriasis, can remove the rashes caused by scabies and much more. Turmeric belongs to the same family as ginger. It is widely used in the medicines and cosmetic industry. All the health benefits of this yellow orange herb comes from its compound curcumin.
Although turmeric has been in use in ancient ayurvedic treatments, modern science has begun to get interested in curcumin for its therapeutic values. We will stay focused on the skin benefits of turmeric in this article.
Table of Contents
Turmeric is a herb belonging to the Ginger family. It has been used by South Asian and Middle Eastern cultures for both culinary and medicinal purposes since ancient time. It gives that special yellow color and taste to Indian curries.
Turmeric is now getting global attention and is one of the most researched spices on the planet.
Turmeric is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory herb. Its main compound curcumin is highly researched.
Its benefits range from better digestion, improving skin conditions to preventing and controlling cancers and much more.
We will look into the effectiveness of turmeric in improving various skin conditions.
Skin is your largest organ and if you take care of it then you will look younger for a long time. Whether you use turmeric or any other product you need to look after your skin well. Following ideas to improve your skin will help.
- Stay hydrated by drinking enough water throughout the day.
- Protect you skin from sun, harsh chemicals and other atmospheric impurities by applying a protective layer on your skin
- Avoid using hot water for bath
- Do not over exfoliate your skin
- Use mild natural.moisturisers
Following are some of the ways in which turmeric helps to improve your skin.
Turmeric hasten the healing process of wounds and minor cut in the skin. Various studies have documented fast wound healing capabilities of turmeric.
You can use commercially available turmeric cream or make the most basic turmeric cream at home by mixing turmeric powder and coconut oil.
Make fresh preparation every time you use it. You can keep applying on the wound until it is healed completely which may take a week to a month.
The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial capabilities of turmeric are main catalysts to fast wound healing.
Turmeric is not only anti-inflammatory but is also antibacterial and antiseptic. The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric helps to treat acne and the antibacterial property ensures that no bacterial infection occurs.
You can use turmeric, milk and honey to make a thick paste and apply on your acne. Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water. Do it twice daily.
This will prevent acne scars and if there are scars it will heal them gradually. Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for acne.
Turmeric brightens your skin tones by maintaining skin elasticity which may otherwise get damaged due to ultraviolet radiations.
- Add two tablespoons of turmeric to a cup of yogurt
- Mix well
- Apply on your entire body before taking bath
- keep it for 10-20 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water and take bath
Do it once a week. Your skin will glow.
Researcher have found that turmeric lowers the levels of cytokines which stimulates skin inflammations.It is believed that high levels of cytokines are responsible for outbreak of psoriasis.Turmeric is an effective remedy for psorisis.
It is very easy to use turmeric on psoriasis patches.
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Gradually add water and keep mixing to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on psoriasis patches
- Leave it for few hours
- Rinse it with warm water
The anti-inflammatory capabilities will help to get relief from psoriasis.
Applying water based turmeric paste on your skin helps to reduce oiliness. Some oiliness is desired to keep the skin moist soft and supple. The body provides that oil through sebaceous glands. Excess oil production can cause acne.
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add water gradually and mix well to make a thick paste
- Apply on your face
- leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it of with water
- Do it twice daily
Within a 4 week period you will notice the improvement. Your skin is less oily. If your skin is oily and you are a teenager then apply it for 3-6 months twice daily to prevent acne formation.
The antioxidant compound curcuminoild that gives turmeric its yellow color prevents oxidative stresses caused by free radicals. It slows down the formation of wrinkles
Your less wrinkled skin makes you look younger than your age.
Curcumin in Turmeric works on age related genes and corrects the errors that leads to faster aging. Various studies have found that it not only reduces the pace of aging but it also possibly increases longevity.
Turmeric soothes minor burns. The antiinflammatory properties of turmeric prevents the burn to swell and antiseptic properties help to heal it.
You can use coconut oil or any other oil to make a paste.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Mix well to make a thick paste
- Apply on the burn
The turmeric will also prevent scarring caused by the minor burns.
Both oral consumption of turmeric and topical application will provide skin benefits. However, too much of anything is bad and the same holds good for turmeric too. It has its own side effects and if you take the following precautions then you will not be adversely affected at all.
- Causes bleeding as turmeric is blood thinner. Be careful if you are already taking blood thinning medicines like aspirin regularly.
- Leads to iron deficiency if you consume too much Turmeric.It reduces iron absorption by the body.
- Upsets stomach if consumed in large quantities
- Increases risks of kidney stones for genetically vulnerable people.
- Reduces blood sugar below required levels when consumed in high doses
- Triggers menstrual cycle so pregnant women should be watchful with the quantities they consume.
- Induces infertility in men so consume in low quantities.
Regular topical application of turmeric on your skin can discolor your skin to look yellowish.