Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition. It is a common skin disorder with white, silvery, or red flaky patches on the outer layer of skin usually at the elbows, knees, scalp, palms, and soles of the feet.
Other parts of the body or in extreme cases the full body can get affected.
Psoriasis relapses periodically even after remaining dormant for years in some cases. It can flare up in cold and dry conditions.
It is not contagious but it can run in families. Some natural home remedies for psoriasis can ease the itch, but there is no permanent cure.
If you can maintain the outer skin of your body moisturized, you can reduce the itch.
- Include cabbage in your daily diet. You can add it to your salads, cook it as vegetables and drink juice or even eat raw
- Take a thick cabbage leaf, clean it with warm water and dry it with a clean towel. Remove the thick veins. Cover psoriasis affected area with it and wrap a bandage around it. The thick outermost cabbage leaf is very effective in the treatment of psoriasis.
- Keep it wrapped for a couple of hours. Remove it and wash, rinse and dry your skin.
2. Avocado Oil
Avocado oil has been found very useful in getting relief from psoriasis. Avocado pulp and olive oil mixture can also be used to reduce psoriasis on the scalp.
- Clean the affected area with warm water. Dry it with tissue paper and gently apply avocado oil to the affected area.
- Take an overripe avocado.
- Remove a teaspoon of pulp and mix it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Get ready to use it on your scalp.
- Massage this mixture on your scalp. Cover your head with plastic wrap and keep it there for 30 minutes, then shampoo your scalp.
Getting rid of scalp psoriasis is very difficult but avocado oil does a good job of controlling the itch as well as reducing the recurrences.
3. Sea Water
Sea water is very useful in psoriasis. The minerals in seawater have different therapeutic values for many conditions and diseases. If you live near the sea or have access to the sea then:
- Swim daily in seawater. Minerals in sea salt help remove the scaly flakes of psoriasis as well as improve appearance.
- Salt makes your skin dry, so ensure that you take shower after swimming in the sea and rinsed and dried yourself well.
- Apply moisturizer after the shower.
Though, sunlight is good for psoriasis, swim when the sun is not hot. Therefore, early morning and evenings are better times. For your safety, you must ensure that the tide is favorable to swimming in the sea.
Jasmine is useful in relieving pain from psoriasis itch. It may not be easy to find jasmine flowers everywhere. However, if you can access to jasmine flower then it's great.
- Take a bunch of jasmine flowers. Make a paste and apply gently to the affected area 3-4 times a day.
- Apply it 2 - 3 times daily and leave it
- It will not only give you immediate relief from itching but also reduce the psoriasis
Jasmine flower smell is also very pleasant and soothing.
Sun exposure has a very positive effect on reducing the itch of psoriasis. The sufferers already have realized that the summertime is the best time for them.
- Expose yourself daily to morning mild sun conditions for 5- 15 minutes.
- You can start with 5 minutes and gradually increase it to 15 minutes within a week.
- Always Apply sunscreen to the unaffected area while sun taking exposure.
Excessive sun exposure can have an adverse effect and you may get sunburn. So be watchful.
6. Aloe Vera
The soothing, moisturizing, and healing properties of Aloe Vera have been known for thousands of years. Aloe Vera is used extensively by the cosmetic industry. Although Aloe Vera is a plant the word Aloe Vera is commonly associated with Aloe Vera gel.
- Fresh Aloe Vera gel is better than commercially packed products available in pharmacies, but both are effective.
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf. Remove a tablespoon scoop of gel from the leaf and apply it to the psoriasis-affected area. Keep the leaf in the refrigerator for further use.
- Cut Aloe Vera pulp in cube forms by removing the outer layer of the leaf and storing it in a glass container in the refrigerator for further use later.
- If fresh Aloe Vera is not available then purchase an Aloe Vera cream from the market and use it.
- Regularly apply Aloe Vera gel on the affected area 2-3 times a day. This is a very soothing treatment for psoriasis
7. Cashew Nut Oil
Cashew nut oil is rich in Vitamin E. Vitamin E provides anti-aging properties and sun protection skin. That is why vitamin E oil is extensively used in the cosmetic industry. The smell of cashew nut oil is not appealing, so some people may not like to use it.
- Apply Cashew nut oil gently to the affected area 2-3 times daily.
- Regular use will soothe the skin, reduce the affected area over some time and improve the appearance.
Since psoriasis is a recurring condition, proper regular care becomes an important routine. Make sure you don't allow the growth of the affected area by proper treatment. Don't ignore consultations with your doctor.