Helichrysum essential oil is useful in tinnitus treatment. Tinnitus or ringing in ears is still not yet very well understood by science. Is it a disease or just a perception of hearing ringing and other sounds in your ears?
Answer is not clear. Yet it affects millions and gives trouble. Essential oils have been found very useful in reducing those unnecessary noises in the ears. People have tried many other home remedies. Some work in specific cases other work more widely and some just don’t work. Therefore treating tinnitus is a hit and trial method. Most people have found helichrysum oil and other essential oil effective in curtailing the ringing and other noises in the ears.
What is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is a hearing loss problem to some extent. It is a physical condition in which the sufferer experiences of hearing ringing, buzzing, clicking, hissing and other sounds that others are not hearing.So it is an internal matter. It is considered a perception of sound, but it appears that aging is one of the main underlying causes for tinnitus. Injury and circulatory problems are other causes. Structural changes in bones, overexposure to explosions and other loud voices and earwax buildup can also cause tinnitus.
There are two types of tinnitus.
- Subjective tinnitus is the noise only the sufferer can listen. Others cant.
- Objective Tinnitus is where the examining doctor can hear the noise with his instruments. This is usually caused by circulatory issues.
Almost 20 percent of people suffer from temporary or chronic tinnitus problems. There is no real cure for tinnitus. If there is an underlying cause such as injury and is treated well then the tinnitus can stop. Otherwise most of the time it rises with age and can lead to hearing loss in some cases.
The symptoms include hearing of various kinds of noises. You may also experience stress, fatigue, memory problems, depression, lack of concentration, anxiety and irritability.
High Blood pressure acts as a catalyst to increase tinnitus.
The best treatments so far have been to mask the tinnitus sound. It can be done by masking with another sound such as white sound therapy or by use of some natural products such as Helichrysum oil and other essential oils.
What is Helichrysum Essential Oil?
Helichrysum oil has been in use for medicinal purposes in the Mediterranean region for thousands of years. Its popularity has increased in recent times as researchers have found its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties useful for various health conditions.
Helichrysum italicum is a natural medicinal plant from which the Essential helichrysum oil is extracted. The plant is also known as the everlasting immortal curry plant. Both its flowers and leaves are used for medicinal purposes.
Some of the most popular uses of helichrysum oil include treatment of wound infections, digestive problems and heart health as well as masking the irritating noises of tinnitus.
Some believe that hearing losses and tinnitus due to nerve damages caused by infections and inflammations can be healed or reduced by the use of helichrysum oil.
How to Use Helichrysum Essential Oil for Tinnitus and Other Hearing Loss Problems
You apply helichrysum essential oil in many different ways simultaneously to get the best results on your tinnitus. Apply a few drops in your ear lobes, apply on the bones behind the ear on the neck and inhale. All these actions will give relief from ringing in your ear. Do not put essential oils deep inside your ears.
It is important to use carrier oils for essential oils as the essential oils are concentrated extracts of plants that can burn your skin. Most popular carrier oils are castor oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond, and apricot kernel oil. You can also use olive oil and coconut oil.
- Add 5 drops of helichrysum oil to 30 drops of almond oil or any other carrier oil and mix well.
- Apply this on your ear lobes.
- Dip a cotton in the mix and insert it to plug your ear. Ensure that it doesn’t go too deep inside.
- You may require more quantities for other use. So mix both helichrysum oil and carrier oil of your choice in the same proportion as above and apply on the bone behind your ear and gently massage it.
- Inhale the mix slowly for a few minutes intermittently.
The above combined process will give you relief. The best time to do it is before going to bed. You will also sleep well.
If you want you can add other essential oils to helichrysum oil in the same proportions and then add them to carrier oil with a 1:6 ratio of essential oils mixed to carrier oil.
You can choose any combination of essential oils from Cypress Essential Oil, Green Basil Essential Oil, Juniper Berry Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Patchouli Essential Oil and Petitgrain Essential Oil.
Do not crowd your mixture with all of them, when you can get the same impact on your ringing in ears with one essential oil.
Choice is your use of the following precautions.
Other Tips and Precautions
- If your tinnitus is slowly building up and you have begun to become aware of it, then it is not a medical emergency and you may not have to even meet a doctor. You can use helichrysum oil and other home remedies to treat it.
- If you suddenly begin to hear those noises then you should immediately meet a doctor. Some underlying condition may have caused it and you may require emergency treatment to avoid possible hearing loss.
- Be aware that men are more likely to get tinnitus than women. Can't do much about your gender, but can reduce other risk factors
- Avoid exposure to loud voices.
- Listen to music and other sounds on personal digital devices at low or moderate volumes.
- Get involved in physical exercise
- Do frequent breathing exercises throughout the day
- Learn to sleep well by developing a regular routine
- Quit both active and passive smoking
If you take care of all these aspects and use helichrysum essential oil, your ringing in ears should stop in a short period of time.