If you see raised red plaques with white scales particularly on your knees, elbows and scalp, then it is most likely psoriasis. It can also affect other skin areas of your body including palm, soles of feet and torso.
The lesions caused by psoriasis are itchy and painful. They can sometimes crack and bleed also.
The actual causes of Psoriasis are still a mystery and it is considered an autoimmune disease. Your doctor may suggest topical application of certain medicines to reduce the symptoms. You can achieve the same objectives with natural remedies. Olive oil and other ingredients mixed with olive oil work very well for psoriasis itch and pain reduction.
How Olive Oil Helps in Psoriasis?
In this condition the skin cells multiply almost 10 times faster but do not die at the same fast rate. This causes plague itching and pain. Olive oil helps to clear the plaque,
- Olive oil reduces itching and pain
- Clears plaque, redness and white scales
- Prevents spread of psoriasis to adjacent skin area
- Moisturizes to prevent dry skin which causes itch and irritation
- Reduces inflammation as olive oil contains vitamin E
- Polyphenols in olive oil counter free radicals to stop progression of psoriasis
- Consumption of olive oil lowers the risk of heart diseases. It is important as psoriasis patients have tendency to develop heart diseases
How to Use Olive Oil to Treat Psoriasis?
You can use olive oil to treat Psoriasis in many different ways. It can be used by consuming it with topical application on the affected area. You can use it alone or along with other ingredients that can fight psoriasis. Some of the most common ways are given below.
Note: Always use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a good massage and it immediately provides relief from the itching and pain of Psoriasis.
- Slightly warm the olive oil before use
- Gently applied on the affected area with the help of cotton ball
- Let it stay there for 30 minutes
- Wipeout the excess oil if any, as most of the all would have already been absorbed.
- Repeat it to 3 times daily
2. Olive Oil with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is antiseptic as well as anti-inflammatory. Coupled with olive oil it soothes the psoriasis far better than either of the ingredients alone.
- Slightly warm one tablespoon of olive oil
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix them well
- Apply with a cotton ball in massage it for some time
- Let it be there for 30 minutes
- Wipeout the excess oil if any left
- Repeat it twice daily
3. Olive oil and Oil of Oregano
Oil of oregano is antifungal antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Along with olive oil it instantly soothes the itch of Psoriasis.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil of oregano in one tablespoon of slightly warm olive oil
- Mix them well in apply on the affected area
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wipe out excess oil if any.
4. Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar with its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory capabilities helps to soothe psoriasis.
- Dilute one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 3 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Apply this mixture on the psoriasis affected area
- Apply slightly warm olive oil after 5 minutes
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Remove excess oil if any with cotton ball wipe
5. Olive Oil and Sugar
Sugar is a great exfoliator of dead skin. Adding sugar to olive oil to remove the plague of Psoriasis helps to reduce the spread of Psoriasis in the nearby area.
- Mix fine grain sugar in equal quantity with the olive oil
- Gently massage psoriasis affected area with this mixture for 2-3 minutes
- Wipe out the scaling removed by sugar with a clean cotton cloth
- Wash the are with warm water
- Apply slightly warm olive oil and leave it there
- Repeat it regularly
6. Olive Oil and Turmeric
Turmeric is a powerful antidote to enzyme Cytokinin which is responsible for the inflammation and itching from psoriasis.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric to one tablespoon of slightly warm olive oil to make a fine paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Leave it there for 15 minutes and wipe it off with warm water
- Do it regularly everyday
7. Consume Olive Oil
People with Psoriasis have a high probability of developing heart diseases. Consuming olive oil in limited quantities helps to control heart diseases.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil daily
- Add it to your salad dressing or
- Drink it orally with lemon juice or
- Drink it directly
Olive oil is generally safe, yet it may be sensitive to your skin. Test it before use.
- Slightly warm oil is good but do not heat it much as oxidised olive oil is not effective
- Avoid chemical soaps and shampoos if you have scalp psoriasis
- Keep yourself fully hydrated all the time. Drink water and other healthy drinks every hour
- Keep the psoriasis patches moisturized with olive oil or other natural moisturizers.
- Do not scratch the plaque of Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease, therefore complete cure is not possible as yet, but you can use olive oil and other natural products to control it.