Cradle Cap affecting sensitive scalp, eyebrows, eyelids and area around ears is a very common skin problems among the newborn babies up to the age of 3 months. Cradle cap is characterized by greasy, yellowish, scaly and crusty formation on the scalp of the babies.
These are dandruff like flakes caused by seborrheic dermatitis which in the case of infants is called infantile seborrheic dermatitis.
Though there are debates on the causes of cradle cap, there is an agreement among the scientists that excess production of sebum due to hormones and medicine given to the mother during pregnancy can be major causes.
Most of the time cradle cap disappears on its own as the child grows. As long as there is no itching, there is no need to worry about. However, you would not like you baby to look ugly due to these flaky patches on baby's skin, so you can use home remedies for cradle cap to remove them.
You have to be careful to ensure that there is no fungal infection in the area where the infantile seborrheic dermatitis appears. The fungal infection will then not only be itchy and uncomfortable to the baby but is also more difficult to cure.
5 Effective Home Remedies for Cradle Cap
Your baby is very precious to you. It is the most beautiful thing in your perception. So keep you baby's skin radiant and beautiful by curing cradle cap at home.
1. Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil is one of the best remedies to cure cradle cap of your baby. Use refined coconut oil only if you can't get virgin coconut oil. Virgin oil is more potent and is more gentle to the tender skin of your baby.
- gently massage the cradle cap ares by apply virgin coconut oil on the scalp and other parts of the face where the flakes are formed
- comb baby's hair with a smooth comb. this will remove some flakes.
- keep the oil on the scalp for 30 minutes then wash it with the help of mild baby shampoo
Do apply virgin coconut oil one every day to get rid of cradle cap within weeks.
2. Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly
You can apply petroleum jelly overnight. Vaseline or petroleum jelly are one of the easiest and effective remedies to cure cradle cap.
- wash baby's scalp with water before going to bed
- gently rub Vaseline or petroleum jelly on the cradle cap affected skin area
- comb baby's hair to remove any flakes
- leave it overnight
- wash the scalp and hair in the morning with mild baby shampoo
Petroleum jelly makes the scaly flakes soft and they can be easily removed during combing.
3. Almond Oil
Almond oil is thicker than coconut oil. You will find it comparatively difficult to rub on the baby's scalp, but it is one of the very powerful home remedies to cure cradle cap.
- rub almond oil on the affected area
- keep it there for a couple of hours
- clean the scalp with a washcloth to remove almond oil which will take away scaly flakes also
You can mix almond oil and virgin coconut oil to apply on cradle cap.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider is acidic and direct application of concentrated apple cider vinegar can be harmful. Dilute apple cider vinegar in water in 1:4 ratio.
- wash baby's scalp with diluted apple cider vinegar by massaging scalp.
- leave it there for 10-15 minutes
- rinse the scalp with water.
Use a cloth to remove flakes which are loosened by the acidic nature of apple cider vinegar.
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is another useful remedy to cure cradle cap. Use virgin olive oil for best results.
- Apply olive oil generously on the scaly patches of cradle cap and massage it
- make sure that you apply enough oil but it should not drip
- leave it there for 15 minutes for it to loosen the flakes.
- gently comb hair with smooth hair brush/comb
- wash the hair with water and mild baby shampoo
Use washcloth to remove the rest of the flakes.
If none of these remedies are able to get rid of cradle cap then you must consult your doctor.