Dandruff is a manifestation of the scalp’s shedding of dead skin. The severity of dandruff differs from season to season, and it is worst during winter. Dandruff causes itching.
White flakes falling from the scalp can be some time visible on dark clothes and be most embarrassing
Among the most common causes of dandruff are skin conditions such as seborrhoeic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin. Sensitivities to hair care products can also cause dandruff. There are several natural remedies to get rid of dandruff. If these home remedies don’t show results then you must visit a dermatologist /skin specialist.
1. Lemon Juice
- Cut two fresh lemons into two pieces and extract the juice to make it two tablespoons of juice. Depending on the size of lemons and their juice contents you may require more than two lemons to get two tablespoons of juice.
- Massage your scalp with the two spoons of lemon juice for 5 minutes. Leave it for another 5 minutes and then wash, and rinse your hair before drying them out with a towel. Repeated use for a week should reduce or completely get rid of dandruff.
- Another way to use lemon is to squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice from lemons and mix it with one cup of water at room temperature. Wash your hair with the solution. Rinse and towel dry your hair.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds can solve your dandruff problems in 3 days. Fenugreek has antifungal properties which help in getting rid of dandruff.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds overnight in a cup of water. Ground the seeds the next day morning to make a fine paste of it. Don’t throw the water from the cup. Leave it for later use.
- Apply the paste all over the scalp and keep it there for an hour. The hair must be washed and rinsed well.
- Finally, apply the leftover water from the cup in which Fenugreek seeds were soaked. Wash your hair with water, rinse and dry with a towel.
Yogurt with its mild acidic properties can help get rid of dandruff. Talk half a cup of yogurt and massage the scalp for 30-40 minutes. Wash it after an hour and rinse it well. You can use mild herbal shampoos to clean the traces of yogurt left if any.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is perhaps one of the most widely used natural remedies for many conditions and diseases. It can help dandruff sufferers too.
- Mix 20ml of vinegar with 60 ml of water and slowly rub it on the scalp before going to bed. Wrap a towel around the head and sleep well.
- Wash and rinse it well in the morning. Repeat this process for a month to see the very positive effect.
5. Aloe Vera
Apply fresh Aloe Vera gel on your scalp for 10 minutes. Gently massage the gel. Wash and rinse it well. Using it regularly for a month will produce dramatic relief from dandruff.
Egg yolk massage is another effective method to solve dandruff problems.
- Beat 2 eggs. Mix the yolks with two tablespoons of water and massage the mixture on your scalp for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave the scalp covered with plastic wrap and wait for one hour before washing. You will have to bear the smell of egg yolk, it smells bad.
- Wash and rinse it well with lukewarm water. Can use a mild shampoo if required.
7. Hot Oil Scalp Massage with Olive Oil
Hot oil massage twice a day is very useful to remove dandruff. Any oil such as coconut, almond, or olive oil will do the job, but olive oil does the job well because of its better moisturizing capabilities.
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil warm it up and massage your scalp for 10 minutes.
- Wrap your hair with a towel for half an hour before washing and rinsing with water. Dry your hair with a towel.
- Do it two times a day for a week to get the best results.
Most of these remedies should work, but if you are not getting the desired results then visit your dermatologist.