Most aware women with hair loss will immediately seek treatment rather than trying to hide the patches or thinking with hair styles. This is a good strategy as the odds of success increases with early actions.
Hair loss for most women is a frustrating experience as hair is one thing that gets noticed immediately.
So, if you are a woman suffering from hair thinning or hair fall then act fast and regrow your lost hair. You have many options. Keep reading.
Table of Contents
- What are the Different Causes and Symptoms of Female Hair Loss?
- How to Stop Thinning Hair in Women?
- What are the Hair Loss Treatment Options?
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss in Females
- Hair Regrowth Strategies for Women
You can easily lose about 100 hair daily and never get hair thinning. This is normal as some hair complete their normal cycle and others begin a new cycle so balance is maintained.
But, there are a number of causes of hair loss in women including hereditary which is one of the most common.
When excessive hair loss happens, it can lead to baldness.
Most Common Causes of Hair Loss in Women
- Genetics - Hereditary is one of the most common causes of hair thinning in women. It is called Female pattern baldness in women. It also affects men and called male pattern baldness.
- Hormonal Changes - when a woman gets pregnant, menopause or thyroid problems, she undergoes hormonal changes. These hormonal changes can cause temporary or permanent hair fall.
- Stress - Both emotional and physical stress can cause sudden hair fall.
- Medication - Hair can fall but the use of arthritis, cancer, depression and other medications.
- Hair Treatments - Harsh chemicals used in hair treatment and styling agent can also cause hair loss.
Main Symptoms of Hair Loss in Women
- Sudden Hair Fall - Both physical and emotional stresses can cause your hair thin. No bald patches here.
- General Thinning Hair - this is the most common type of hair thinning in women.
- Hair fall in Patches - This is generally caused by ringworms.
Whole body hair loss - Cancer treatments generally cause such type of hair loss in the entire body.
If you are facing hair thinning problems and do not know what to do then take following precautions. It will prevent thinning of hair as well as stop hair fall.
- Loosen up your hair - Ponytail all the time can cause hair fall. Even excessive blow-dying and wearing hair extensions cause a lot of strain on your hair follicles.
- Treat Hypothyroidism - You will lose hair. Seek medical help.
- Take Vitamins - Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause slow hair growth as well as worsen hair thinning. Get some sunshine and supplements.
- Maintain Iron Levels - iron deficiency also causes anemia and hair fall. Eat more iron rich foods and iron supplements.
- Eat Proteins - Eat more protein rich diet as lack of protein is one of the most common causes of hair loss.
- Reduce Stress - All kinds of stresses, physical or emotional can cause hair fall. Do deep breathing and yoga.
- Lead Healthy Lifestyle - Eat well, exercise regularly, sleep well and enough and enjoy life.
As a woman you do not have many medical hair loss treatment solutions. Minoxidil which is an antihypertensive validator medication approved by FDI to treat hair loss. It treats androgenic alopecia in both men and women.
Minoxidil is available as a generic medicine over the counter.
Minoxidil works by extending the hair growth period. It gives longer time for hair to grow to reach its full density. As a result hair thinning is reduced.
It works better if used in early stages of hair fall and takes about 3-6 months to show some positive results.
The other more permanent option is to go for hair transplant surgery. This also works very well if done at a younger age. Hair follicles from other dense areas are taken and transplanted into the affected area. This method has become very popular and lots of cine stars are using it to continue to look younger.
All hair thinning problems are not the same. Sometimes excess of male hormones androgens can cause hair fall similar to male. Sach hair fall in females is treated by hormone therapy.
If your hair fall is not because of any underlying health conditions and you are not genetically predisposed to hair loss, then following re-growth strategies should produce quick and sustainable results.
1. Wash Your Hair Gently and Regularly.
Use gentle shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair every other day. Frequent washing can cause hair fall.
Don't miss to use the conditioner after washing hair with shampoo.
Dry your hair after washing and conditioning. Let it air dry if possible. If you have to use a hair dryer then don't use heat.
2. Brush Your Hair Gently
Vigorous brushing puts lots of pressure on hair follicles. Brush your hair gently after drying.
3. Avoid Chemical Treatment
Avoiding any kind of chemicals on your scalp will help faster regrowth.
If you do it then do it sparingly.
4. Have Sun Protection
Protect your hair and scalp from the sun. Wear a hat and apply sunscreen when you go out in the sun. Ultraviolet Rays of sun can damage your hair.
5. Massage Your Scalp
Massage your scalp with coconut oil. The massage stimulates blood flow and increases nutrient absorption. It strengthens hair roots.
In addition to the proper hair care and treatment if required there are a number of other strategies you can use for hair regrowth.
Shaving your head to treat your scalp with natural remedies or medical treatment helps faster and stronger hair regrowth. Many women may not prefer this method. But this is one of the best methods to treat any scalp related problems that are causing hair thinning.
Another good method is hair transplant. It is an expensive method, but it gives permanent sustainable hair growth.
Hair is taken from the ticket growth area of the scalp and transplanted to thinner area one by one. It is a tedious surgery but well worth it.
If you decide to use this strategy of hair regrowth then you should consult a reputed doctor with a good track record of success. Since it is surgery, it can be risky too. That is why a good hair transplant surgeon is required.
Hair thinning treatment by transplant in women has high chances of success. However more men as compared to women are going for search surgery