Vitiligo is a condition in which you see white patches on your skin. There is no infection or injury. It is just the absence of pigmentation that forms white patches on the skin. That is why vitiligo is not infectious.
You may just have a few white patches or your entire body may gradually get vitiligo.
This happens because our body's immune system sometimes mistakenly considers melanin as an intruder. So, it prevents melanin from acting. Melanin provides pigmentation to the skin. If melanin is prevented from expressing then the area of skin remains white.
Though there is no cure for vitiligo, some people believe that coconut not only prevents spread of vitiligo but also can get rid of it. Coconut is good anyway for your skin so there is no harm in trying it out.
Table of Contents
- How Coconut Oil Helps in Vitiligo?
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Vitiligo?
- Additional Vitiligo Remedies
- Other Tips and Precautions
If you ask whether coconut oil will prevent it get rid of vitiligo, then you won't get a clear answer from anyone. But, it certainly helps in dealing with vitiligo
Since there is no scientific evidence for or against the effectiveness of coconut oil in treating vitiligo, its use for managing the condition is worth considering.
Use virgin unfiltered unrefined coconut oil.
Now let us look at how coconut oil is helpful in dealing with vitiligo.
The biggest problem with vitiligo is getting easily sunburned. A little sun exposure can irritate your skin. The fatty acid in coconut oil protects the skin from the ill effects of sun exposure. Coconut oil is also rich in vitamin E which is a good nutrient for skin
You may still require to use sunscreen while you are in for a long sun exposure. Avoiding harsh sun exposure is better for you if you have vitiligo.
You can use coconut oil in many different ways to deal with vitiligo. Some popular methods are given below
What you will need
- 1 teaspoon virgin unrefined and unfiltered coconut oil
What you have to do
- Wash your affected skin with warm water and Dan it dry
- Massage the area with virgin coconut oil for about 5 minutes so that the oil penetrates deep inside the skin
- Take more oil if your affected are requires more oil
- Do it twice daily
It will keep your skin strong to deal with sun exposure as we as will detract any bacteria to infect the skin
Turmeric and coconut oil is also a very good combination for vitiligo. Regular use of turmeric on skin darkens the complexion of skin. It also is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
What you need
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
What you have to do
- Wash and dry your affected skin with warm water
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with half teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a medium thickness paste
- Apply by gently massaging it on the affected area
- Make more paste if the affected area is large
- Leave it for 10 minutes
- Remove the excess oil with a blotting paper
- Do it 2-3 times daily
Eating it drinking coconut oil is highly beneficial for your brain, liver and guts. The overall impact is high energy levels and high immunity.
What you need
- 1 tablespoon virgin unrefined in filtered coconut oil
What you have to do
- Brush your teeth and get ready after your daily morning ritual
- Drink one tablespoon of raw virgin coconut oil before ingesting anything in the morning
- Don't eat or drink anything within the next 1 hour
- Do it daily
If you can get fresh coconut water then drink it every day. It is not only good for vitiligo but also good for overall health. Drinking a glass of coconut water during a long sun exposure will keep your skin well hydrated and protect your vitiligo patches from inflammation and irritation. It is a good source of several nutrients, has antioxidant properties, prevents kidney stones and reduces blood pressure. It is also a delicious hydration source.
You can't cure it with home or any other medical treatment because it is an autoimmune disorder. but you can certainly reduce the pain and inflammation caused by vitiligo by using the following remedies.
- Rub Papaya on white patches
- Apply Red clay rich in copper
- Use ginger juice to increase blood flow
- Drink lots of water in copper vessel
- Take high zinc foods such as legumes, chickpeas, lentils, nuts, whole grains, dairy, eggs, shellfish and meat
- Apply basil leave paste, it helps in melanin production
- Eat vitamin c rich fruits and vegetables to increase immunity
- Apply turmeric paste made in mustard oil
Following tips will help you to deal with vitiligo much better
- Maintain your self esteem. Your looks may have got affected but it is neither contagious nor a life threatening condition
- Avoid harsh sun exposure as far as possible. The UV rans can inflamed the non pigmented area of the skin
- Maintain high immunity. You should take vitamin D supplements as you will be avoiding sun exposure.
- Avoid steroid and other chemical based treatment that might temporarily improve pigmentation but are harmful in long term.
Learn to live with vitiligo with head held high. Since there is no cure yet, use home remedies that can reduce the inflammations if any.