You would have noticed that some natural remedies work for others but don't work for you or vice versa. The same holds good for medicines also. Sometimes they work for one condition but are bad for another. If you are pregnant then don't try this as it might cause miscarriage. You can try it to induce a period.
Any kind of hormonal imbalance can put your period into spin. If you see spotting for days but the period doesn't start then this is worth trying.
Parsley is a good herb with many health benefits and herbalists recommend it to start your period as it has emmenagogue properties that improves blood circulation in the pelvic area to induce menstruation.
Irregular periods are always a cause for concern and if something natural like parsley tea can help then it is worth trying.
Table of Contents
- How Does Parsley Induce Menstruation or Helps in Starting periods?
- How to Use Parsley Tea for Periods?
- Risks of Parsley
- Other Tips and Precautions
Enough Scientific research has not yet been done on this aspect of parsley (petroselinum crispum). What we read and hear about inducing periods with parsley tea is coming from some herbalists and those who have used it. So most of its effectiveness is anecdotal.
The two volatile oils, apiol and myristicin in parsley are supposed to have emmenagogue effects, which means they stimulate blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus. They may also stimulate menstruation. There are other components in minor quantities in parsley that have estrogen effect.
The logic based on all these factors may push you to believe that parsley tea may help in inducing periods in some cases.
If you decide to try then keep your gynecologist in the loop.
You can use parsley in many different ways to induce periods. 3 common methods are given below. You may have to use it for 3-5 days so begin that many days before expected starting date of menstrual cycle
- Chop 1 tablespoon of parsley leaves with stem
- Toss them in a saucepan
- Pour one cup of water and bring it to boil
- Put the lid on the sauce pan and let it steep for 10 minute
- Strain and drink the tea when palatable
- Drink 2-4 cups daily to get good results
- Take 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Put in 2-3 tea bags
- Take a cup of boiled water
- Dip parsley tea bags into water
- Wait for some time and prepare the tea as you normally prepare tea
- Take 2-4 cups of parsley tea daily
- Pluck leaves from stems from 3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley. This makes it more effective as well as it is easy on your vagina.
- Wrap the leaves in a cheese cloth.
- Push it inside your vagina to as close to cervix as possible.
- Replace it after 12 hours by another such preparation.
- Do it for few days until you the spotting
- Do not use parsley if you are pregnant as it may cause miscarriage.
- Make sure that the parsley you use is parsley particular when you are growing your own parsley. There are other poisonous plants that look like parsley and the side effects of these plants such as water hemlock,
- small hemlock and poison hemlock can be from severe to deadly.
- Don't consume parsley if you have kidney disease. It can worsen the condition.
- Take care as parsley lowers blood sugar levels so be careful when you take large quantities
- Be watchful as parsley may cause fluid retention due to its high sodium contents.your blood pressure may also rise.
- Consult your doctor if you have frequent irregular periods for many months as there may be underlying health condition that requires fixing
- Check for PCOS or thyroid disorders as these conditions are common in irregular periods.
- Stress can throw your periods in irregularities
- Excessive dieting or too much exercise can also impact your menstrual cycle.
Some women experience favourable results and some have not. If your menstrual cycle of irregular periods does not get resolved by taking parsley or any other home remedy then consult a gynecologist.