Do you suffer from back pain?
You are not alone. Back pain is one of the most common orthopaedic problems of today's sedentary lifestyle.
Sitting for long hours and wrong postures should generally be blamed for this. Muscular and nerve problems as well as arthritis and degenerative disc disease are some of the main causes of back pain.
Most people take pain medication and painkillers to get rid of the symptoms of back pain. These medicines have long term side effects, so why not use natural remedies which are as effective as these painkillers without side effects.
You can take ginger in any form to relieve back pain. It possesses powerful anti inflammatory capability. If you take such natural remedies and do some yoga and stretches then you will not require NSAID drugs to get back pain relief.
Ginger is also a natural blood thinner, so if you are taking any blood thinning medicine like aspirin then consult your doctor before taking ginger for back pain.
Back pain accompanied with other symptoms such as high fever, difficulties in urinating or excessive weight loss suggest other underlying conditions that will require immediate medical attention.
Why Ginger Helps in Back Pain Relief?
- Ginger root contains 115 known helpful chemical components to provide multiple health benefits
- Gingerol is one of the main compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capabilities that helps to relieve the symptoms of back pain and other inflammatory pains.
- Bioactive component  - Gingerol has been extensively tested for its therapeutic values
- Gingerol works on vanilloid receptors ( located on ending of sensory nerves) to reduce pain and inflammations
- Studies done on ginger extract have shown significant reduction of pain in osteoarthritis
- Other compounds such as shogaol and zingerone in ginger roots are natural analgesic and muscle relaxant helping to relieve back pain and other joint and muscle pains by improving blood circulation
- Mineral selenium also is anti-inflammatory which helps to reduce back pain as well as sciatica pain.
- Researchers have found ginger to be more effective than the popular NSAID drugs
How to Use Ginger for Relieving Back Pain?
Ginger root (rhizome) of the ginger plant can be consumed fresh, dried, juiced or in the oil form alone or along with other natural ingredients to alleviate back pain.
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is simple to make and is one of the best ways to get rid of back pain. You just need a piece of ginger root and water.
- Wash and peel an inch of ginger root
- Add one cup of water to a boiling pot.
- Grate the ginger root and add to water
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink it when it cools down to palatable temperatures
- Drink it 2-3 times daily
2. Ginger Honey Tea
- Prepare ginger tea as explained above
- Add one teaspoon of honey when the temperature cools down a bit
- Mix it well and drink
- Drink it 2-3 times a day
- You may develop a liking for the taste and may like to continue. Do it.
3. Ginger Turmeric Tea
Turmeric also has high antiinflammatory capabilities to reduce back pain and other joint pains caused by arthritis.
- Prepare ginger tea as above
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Mix it well
- Add one teaspoon of honey if you prefer
- Mix well and drink
You can also make ginger tea with other anti-inflammatory and antioxidants containing natural ingredients such as chamomile, mint or coriander leaves to relieve back pain symptoms.
4. Ginger Compress
The warm ginger compress can relieve sever back pain. You will need more ginger as compared to the quantities used in making tea. You can reuse the ginger for the same purpose 2-3 times during the day.
- Clean and grate 5-6 inches of ginger root. No need to peel it.
- Put it in a clean cheesecloth and tie it
- Dip the cheese cloth in warm water for 10 seconds
- Squeeze the cheesecloth to remove water
- Press the cheesecloth on the pain area.
- Dip it again in the warm water and repeat the process.
- Do this compress for 5 minutes at least
- Do it 2-3 times a day to get complete back pain relief.
5. Ginger Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a magnesium rich salt. The sulfur and magnesium in the Epsom salt help to relieve the pain in the muscle nerves.
- Toss crushed or grated ginger root of about 2 inches size in a 2 cup water pot.
- Add one cup of epsom salt and boil.
- Let the mixture boil for a few minutes for the salt to dissolve.
- Soak a clean cloth in the Epsom salt ginger water
- Dab the cloth on your back after squeezing out excess water
- Continue to repeat the dabbing until all solution is is used up
- Do it 2-3 times a day to get back pain relief.
6. Ginger Oil and Olive Oil Massage
Olive oil massage gives muscle pain relief due it's compound oleocanthal.
- Take 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a crucible
- Add 3-4 drops of ginger essential oil
- Mix it well
- Massage the back with this mix oil for 30 minutes
- Wipe the oil with a clean cloth or tissue papers.
- Do it 3-4 times a day to get complete relief from back pain.
7. Ginger and Garlic Massage
Garlic is analgesic due to presence of selenium and thiacremonone.
- Grate 3 inches of ginger roots
- Crush 8-10 garlic cloves
- Add a cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix well and keep it in a sealed jar for a week.
- Use 2 tablespoons of this ginger garlic olive oil for back massage whenever you have back pain.
- Do it 2-3 times during the day to get relief.
Precautions on Uses of Ginger
Ginger is generally safe but you have to be cautious under certain circumstances. Take following precautions while using ginger for back pain relief or any other purpose.
- Ginger is a natural blood thinner so if you are already taking blood thinning drugs then check with your doctors on the use of ginger.
- Pregnant women should be aware that ginger influences hormonal balances which may cause miscarriage.
- Ginger also increases insulin levels in the blood so if you are taking medicines for diabetes then you may have to adjust your doses. Check it out with your doctor.
- Too much ginger can give you diarrhea, nausea and even vomiting, so stay within your limits to consume ginger at a time.
Other Precautions Specifics to Back Pain
Taking the following precautions you can avoid or reduce your back pain.
- Do not lift heavy weights
- Band your knees and keep your back straight while lifting any weight
- Practice good posture while sitting and standing
- Use firm mattresses to sleep. Too soft or too hard both can give you backache
- Maintain your weight. If you are overweight or obesse then lower your weight.
- Eat healthy diet
Ginger root is great for back pain and other joint pains. Try it out before rushing to NSAID drugs for pain relief.