Nausea, often times an early warning sign of vomiting is a nasty feeling we all have gone through at different times in our life. It may or may not follow with vomiting but the feeling is not at all comfortable.
In most cases you can treat your nausea naturally with home remedies. Ginger play a vital role in getting rid of nausea. Some scientific studies also have shown evidence of ginger giving nausea relief.
How does Nausea Feel Like?
Nausea is an extreme discomfort in the stomach inducing sensation to vomit, and in some cases you may vomit the contents of the stomach. Nausea can be acute and short lived, but sometimes it can be prolonged. The symptoms, though very difficult to describe are not painful but cause a lot of discomfort in the chest, upper abdomen or back of the throat. it can lead to headache, dizziness, lightheaded, abdominal pain and diarrhea in addition to usual vomiting.
Food poisoning, dehydration, morning sickness, motion sickness, acid reflux and certain medications cause nausea. Certain bacterial and viral infections can also cause nausea.Ulcers, vertigo, ear infection, heart attack, intestinal blockages, liver diseases, meningitis and migraine headaches can cause nausea and vomiting.
Even overeating certain kind of food such as spicy, high fat foods can cause nausea. Certain types of foods you are allergic to can also cause nausea.
Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has been used to relieve digestive problems such as nausea and loss of appetite from ancient times. It is fully loaded with nutrients and healthy bioactive compounds.
- Gingerol in ginger is the main bioactive compound responsible for its medicinal properties. It provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- It improves appetite
- Ginger helps absorption of essential nutrients by the body tissues
- It clears sinuses
- It reduces intestinal gas causing bloating
- Munching ginger can reduce muscle cramps
- You can get rid of throat and nose congestion with ginger tea
- Ginger also possesses aphrodisiac properties
- It boosts immunity
Overall ginger offers multiple health benefits and is the wonder herb that can keep you healthy. Add it in daily diet to remain healthy.
Different Ways to Use Ginger for Nausea Relief
It is important to understand how ginger helps in nausea, before we begin to use it for its medicinal values.
- More than a dozen bioactive substances in ginger help in better digestion. This resolves a lot of digestive problems including nausea.
- Certain receptors that bind serotonin to stomach will cause nausea. Ginger doesn't let these receptors bind serotonin.
- The phenol in ginger relax stomach muscles
- It promotes secretion of saliva leading to release of many enzymes and juices that help in effective digestion
- Gingerol in ginger prevents vomiting
With all these properties aiding in proper digestion and working on nervous system ginger becomes one of the best natural herbs to get nausea relief. You can use ginger in many different ways to get the best results
1. Ginger in Your Daily Diet
Add ginger to your daily diet for sustained benefits. Ginger has nice aromatic, pungent and spicy flavor in addition to its medicinal properties. . Fresh ginger roots are available throughout the year and you can add crushed ginger roots, powder or ginger juice in your dishes. Dishes seasoned with ginger can be irresistible.
2. Raw Ginger Root for Nausea
Raw ginger roots can be consumed in many different ways.
- Wash, peel and cut ginger root in 2-3mm thick slices
- Chew these slices as and when convenient throughout the day
- Grate equal quantity of peeled ginger root with onion and eat it half a teaspoon at a time
Eating raw ginger requires courage and commitment. The strong pungent taste may demotivate you to discontinue chewing. resist the temptation and continue chewing for the best nausea relief.
3. Ginger Tea for Nausea
Ginger tea is the most acceptable and comfortable way to consume ginger as a home remedy for nausea and other digestive problems.
- wash and cut a 1-2 inch of ginger root.
- Chop it into thin small pieces or grate it
- Add chopped or grated ginger in a cup of boiling water and simmer it for 5 minutes to make tea.
- Let the tea cool down to room temperature but warm enough
- Enjoy sipping the tea
- Prepare fresh and drink ginger tea 2-3 times a day.
You can have more variables of this ginger tea. Add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to the above preparation and drink.
You can add a tablespoon of honey which also has anti-inflammatory properties to the above preparation. Honey will add sweetness and the ginger tea will taste better.
You can add both lemon and honey to make it even more effective ginger tea to combat nausea.
4. Other Ginger Preparations for Nausea
There are many other preparations of ginger that can help you to get relief from nausea.
Prepare the ginger tea with lemon as described in the above method in larger quantity. Take a cup of fresh grated ginger. Add 3 tablespoon of lemon juice and pour it into 2-3 cups of boiling water. Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and simmer it for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool down. Store it in a glass container in the refrigerator for use within the next 7 days. Mix 2 tablespoon of syrup with club soda at a time to enjoy the drink.
Make ginger beer at home or buy a commercially available to get rid of nausea. Since this is non alcoholic drink. It will have no side effects. Home made fresh ginger bear will certainly be better choice.
Ginger Candy and Ginger Cookies
Buy it or make it at home and store. Whenever you feel nauseated eat a cookie or lick a candy.
Ginger Capsules or Tablets
If you don't like the taste of ginger then take ginger capsules or ginger tablets to control your nausea and get relief.
5. Ginger Powder for Nausea
Dried ginger powder is available at your next door supermarket. Buy and keep a pack at home.
- Add sufficient ginger powder to a teaspoon of honey to make a thick paste. Keep it in you mouth to slowly melt in there before it goes to the stomach.
- Make a tea by adding a teaspoon of ginger powder in a cup of boiling water and simmer it for 5 minutes. Let it cool to palatable temperature and drink. Add honey for taste.
Ginger for Nausea during Pregnancy
Pregnancy brings nausea in the form of morning sickness. it is always better to take as less medication during pregnancy as possible to avoid any side effects on the child. Ginger is one of the best natural home remedies for nausea during pregnancy.
You can use any of the above preparations but making a fresh ginger tea with lemon and honey can be the best way to get rid of your morning sickness.