High blood pressure can impair functioning of all vital organs like, kidney, heart, brain and eyes. One of the main causes of heart attacks and stroke is uncontrolled high blood pressure. Sometimes it doesn't give any symptoms that is why it is also called a silent killer. However severe headache, breathing difficulties, irregular heartbeat, fatigue and vision problems are common symptoms of hypertension.
Celery can lower your high blood pressure. There are a number of other natural home remedies that can do the same job. Natural methods particularly those that work are always better than harsh chemical based medicines. Try celery for controlling your hypertension.
Table of Contents
- How Celery Lowers Blood Pressure?
- 3 Celery Remedies for Blood Pressure
- Other Benefits of Celery
- Risks Associated With Celery
- Other Tips and Precautions
It is no secret that most plants offer a range of nutrients including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other phytonutrients to improve human health.
Celery is also loaded with many nutrients.
An active hydrophobic compound found in celery seed extract is responsible for lowering blood pressure.
Researchers at University of Chicago Medical Center identified the compound as 3-n-butylphthalide or 3nB which not only lowers blood pressure but also reduces cholesterol and Arthritis pain.
3nB in celery can lower your blood pressure by 12 to 14 percent.
Other subsequent studies have also found that celery lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressures.
These are significant research findings. More doctors and people will turn towards such natural remedies as celery for lowering blood pressure rather than taking harsh chemicals as they currently do.
There are a number of different ways to take celery to lower your blood pressure. Some of then are given below
- Chop 2 medium size stalks of celery in small pieces and toss them into a mixer blender
- Peel a ripe banana and toss half banana in the blender
- Extract juice of a large size carrot in juice extractor.
- Add carrot juice in the mixer and blend all three ingredients well
- Drink this smoothie daily for a few weeks
All three ingredients, celery, carrot and banana help in lowering blood pressure.
You can add celery seeds to your cooking or use celery seed extract as the researchers did
- Take 150mg celery seed extract daily
- Eat less salt
- Do it for 6 weeks
Add celery stalks to your salad or chew them separately
- Chop 4 medium size stalks of celery into small pieces
- Make a goal to consume them in 3-4 sittings during g the day
- Chew them properly to extract juice before swallowing
- Do it for 6 weeks
In China celery is widely used for lowering blood pressure. Doctors recommend it too.
Health benefits of celery are not restricted to lowering blood pressure alone. In fact it offers many and some of the most common benefits are as under:
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers cholesterol
- Controls blood pressure
- Prevents Urinary tract infection
- Helps in weight loss
- Lowers inflammation
- Improves digestion
Celery is a low calories nutritional vegetable and is generally safe when taken in food amounts.
Celery consumed in medicinal amounts can pose the following risks in some people:
- Seeds can be allergic to some people
- Can act as contraceptive so avoid celery during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Can cause low blood pressure
- Induce excessive bleeding
- Causes inflammation in kidneys
Celery is totally safe otherwise, just ensure that you do not take overdoses for long periods of time.
High blood pressure is generally a lifestyle disorder. Following tips will help you to control your blood pressure
- Engage yourself in any 45 minutes physical activity of your choice. Working at brisk pace is one of the best exercise for blood pressure
- Avoid eating junk fatty foods particularly with high sodium content
- Control your stress levels
- Enjoy life as it comes
- Sleep well and long everynight
Bottomline is that controlling blood pressure is in your hands. Celery and other home remedies can certainly help but sustainable control on blood pressure will come from making lifestyle changes