Cirrhosis of liver is a chronic progressive disease, in which healthy tissue of the liver is destroyed and scar tissue is developed. This causes damage to the liver over several years resulting in poor functioning of liver.
Some of the main symptoms of liver cirrhosis include fatigue, nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps, loss of appetite and weight loss. Other symptoms such as tendencies to bruise and bleed, itchy skin, edema, jaundice may also appear.
Symptoms progress gradually, therefore once the early symptoms are identified home remedies for cirrhosis of the liver can be effective in arresting the progression of the disease. Normally functioning of the liver can also be restored at this stage. However, it is always better to take doctor’s advice.
Heavy regular doses of alcohol drinking, is one of the major risk factor for developing cirrhosis of the liver. Obesity, diabetes and viral hepatitis B and C are the other main causes of cirrhosis of the liver.
There are a range of other causes of cirrhosis of the liver not directly related to liver such as heart problems, cystic fibrosis and many others.There is no real cure for cirrhosis of liver. Treatments will only arrest the further progression of the disease. Lifestyle changes and certain remedies will help you to achieve that goal of arresting further progression of the disease.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
1. Give Up Alcohol
Irrespective of the cause of your cirrhosis of the liver, quit alcohol completely. Alcohol attacks liver cells and cause harm. It will further propagate progression of scar tissues.
If your cirrhosis is caused by alcohol abuse then it is no brainier to quit drinking. Any disease caused by alcohol overdose such as fatty liver disease or alcoholic hepatitis will stop further progression if you quit alcohol completely.
Since giving up alcohol completely also is challenging as the alcohol withdrawal symptoms can also create havoc in the mind, it important that giving up alcohol is done under professional medical help.
2. Exercise and Lose Weight
If you are obese or overweight, then lose weight. Do everything that helps you to lose weight. Maintain the weight within the BMI limits. Almost all healthy weight reduction techniques require exercise. So exercise to reduce weight.
If your weight is alright but you have any kind of liver disease, exercise will still stop progression of liver disease.
3. Control Your Diet
Your diet is the biggest contributor to your liver diseases. What you eat and avoid can decide your health condition. In order to stop progression of cirrhosis of the liver, you must control your diet.
- Avoid Saturated and Trans fats –Though fat is essential to your overall health, certain fats are generally harmful to overall health and specifically bad for liver functioning. These are saturated fats such as red meats, whole fat dairy products and lard. Trans fats are present in all commercially available cookies, muffins, pastries, cakes, nuts and packaged snacks such as chips, crackers and other fried foods.
- Eat Good Fats – All mono-saturated and poly saturated fats are good for liver health. Oils such as olive oil, canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil are good for cooking food. Fats coming from avocados, walnut, sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds etc. are good. Food items containing Omega 3 fats are also very healthy fats. These are available in salmon , tuna and mackerel, tuna, sardine, herring and trout fishes. Flax seeds are a good vegetarian source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Avoid Refined Carbohydrates – All kinds of refined carbohydrates get converted into triglycerides which then get accumulated on the liver and arteries. Refined flour and sugar, sodas, white bread and other refined processed foods are full of refined carbohydrates. Avoid them.
- Consume Good Carbohydrates – Whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables are good carbohydrates.In addition to all the above, you also must ensure to use less sugar and salt. Eat healthy spices and natural seasonings like lemon and vinegar in your food.
4. Vitamin C and Other Antioxidants
Vitamin C is a very good home remedy for liver diseases. It protects the liver against oxidative damages and fatty buildup.
Eat and drink juices of all kinds of vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables. Lemon, oranges, papaya and broccoli are some of the most popular and easily available vitamin rich fruits and vegetables for your cirrhosis.
In addition to Vitamin C other antioxidants such as vitamin E and selenium helps to repair scar tissues of cirrhosis. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables such as spinach, carrots, artichokes, Brazil nuts on daily basis. You can make juices of vegetables and drink.
Garlic helps eliminate toxic waste. Add garlic to your cooking. Eat raw garlic cloves if you can manage the taste. Otherwise use garlic capsules.Cirrhosis progression requires strict discipline and if you follow the above remedies then you can improve your level functioning over a period.