If you have oily skin then the good news is that it will age gracefully and you will have less wrinkles as compared to the dry skin. But, the bad news is that you may develop blackheads, whiteheads, acne and other skin irritants easily. This happens particularly when the oil producing sebaceous gland produces more oil called sebum.
If you learn to manage the excess production of sebum very well then you will have a smooth and glowing skin to be proud of. Excessive oily skin is tough to manage, but many home remedies do a great job. Aloe vera is one of the excellent natural products for taking care of your oily skin.
Why is Aloe Vera Good for Oily Skin?
- Aloe vera contains many minerals and vitamins vital for proper growth and functioning of various body parts including skin.
- Antioxidants Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E in aloe vera help nourishing the skin.
- Hormones auxins and gibberellins with anti-inflammatory capabilities help to heal scars, if any, created by acne in your oily skin.
- Aloe vera has natural astringent properties to absorb excess oil another impurities built up on the oily skin.
- It moisturizes and rejuvenates your skin without making it oily.
How to Make Aloe Vera Gel at Home?
Most commercially available Aloe Vera Gel contain other ingredients including preservatives, essence and other chemicals which may interfere with your sensitive skin.
Making Aloe Vera Gel at home and using it, is one of the best ways to treat your oily skin. You can do it as under:
- Thoroughly wash and clean a freshly cut aloe vera leaf.
- Split the leaf vertically with a sharp knife
- Scrape the translucent gel from the middle of a leaf carefully.
- Store it immediately in a sealed jar to avoid oxidation.
- Open the jar remove the required quantity of gel for use and seal the jar again to protect it for further use.
- If you do not have access to the fresh aloe vera gel then you can buy reputed commercial brands of aloe vera which do not have harmful chemicals.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Oily Skin?
Aloe vera gel all alone and combined with many other natural ingredients can significantly improve your oily skin problems.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
- Wash your face with warm water and dab it dry with a towel
- Apply the freshly extracted aloe vera gel or commercially purchased aloe vera gel on your face and neck
- Leave it there for 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat it 2-3 times a day
- Apply it daily
2. Aloe Vera with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has capacity to remove from the skin pores. Your oily skin will become smooth and clear with the use of aloe vera and tea tree oil together
- Wash you face with warm water and dab it dry with a towel
- Take a tablespoon of aloe vera gel in a crucible
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix it well
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck.
This will not only remove excess oil from the skin but will also keep your skin moisturised. Use it daily.
3. Aloe Vera and Cucumber
Cucumber moisturizes your skin and keep it hydrated.
- Grate half a cucumber and extract its juice by squeezing and straining the grated cucumber.
- Add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- Mix them well and apply on your face and neck
- Leave it for an hour
- Remove the pack with warm water
- Do it daily
4. Aloe Vera with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very effective natural astringent. It also contain high amount of Vitamin C which is good for nourishing your skin.
- Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon in a bowel
- Add 1 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and mix well
- Wash your face with warm water and apply the mix with cotton ball for gently wiping the face
- Now apply fresh aloe vera gel alone
- Keep it for 30 minutes before washing it out with warm water.
5. Aloe Vera with Yoghurt
Yogurt is antibacterial containing lactic acid which removes excess oil, dead skin, dirt and other impurities efficiently. It makes a great combination with aloe vera to make your oily skin normal.
- Add equal quantities of Aloe Vera Gel and yoghurt in a bowl. one tablespoon of each should be ok for one application.
- Mix them well together to make a consistent paste
- Apply the pack on your face and neck
- Leave it there for 30 minutes
- Wash your face with warm water
- Apply it twice a day
6. Aloe Vera with Honey
Honey is an excellent moisturizer with oil absorbing capabilities. It absorbs the excess oil from the skin surface and keeps the skin hydrated.
- Mix equal quantities of aloe vera gel and honey in a bowl. If the mixture is too viscous add little more aloe vera.
- Apply this makes on your face for 30 minutes
- Remove the mask with warm water
- Dab the skin dry with a towel
- Do it every alternate day for best long term results to clear your oily skin
7. Aloe Vera with Oats
Oatmeals is very good for cleansing the oily skin for removal of excess sebum and other impurities. The dead skin, dirt particles and oil are removed by saponins in oats.
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons oats with a 5 mm thick layer of water in a cup overnight.
- Add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix it well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck with gentle massage
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
Aloe vera is in excellent skin care product antiviral and antibacterial capabilities but it may not be suitable for every skin.
- Aloe vera may produce allergic rashes on some sensitive skin. It is rare but it can happen. It is a paradox as aloe vera is also a very good agent to remove rashes.
- Apply aloe vera on a patch of your hand and leave it there for 24 to 48 hours to check if there are any rashes?
- If you find rashes then do not use aloe vera gel on your face. Use some other natural product.
- Some chemicals in be commercially available Aloe Vera Gel may not be compatible with your skin, so always test it before using it on your face.
In addition to the use of aloe vera, you must wash your oily skin many times during the day to keep it smooth and glowing.