Fungus is a very common skin infection. In some cases toenails and fingernails also get infected by fungus. You can use oregano oil for toenail fungus effectively in addition to other remedies which are also helpful.
Toenail fungus is also called onychomycosis. It is caused by candida species fungi. This kind of fungal infection cannot be easily treated by taking internal medicine alone as the fungal growth is external and is outside the circulation system of the body.
Toenail fungus therefore is treated both internally and externally. Although dietary changes and supplements can help, the healing process still depends on topical application of antifungal agents. Oregano oil is one of the best home remedies for fungal infections of different types. It is highly capable to effectively treat this highly stubborn fungal infection on your nails.
Toenail fungus begins as a white or yellow spot under the tip of your nails and as it grows deeper your nails discolor, thicken and crumble at the edge.
If the nail fungus doesn't bother you then you just have to live with it. If it pains and you have to treat it but remember even after completely disappearing the toenail fungus is notorious to come back.
Table of Contents
- Why Oregano Oil Works Well for Toenail Fungus?
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Nail Fungus on Your Toes and Fingers?
- What Role Diet Plays in Eliminating Toenail Fungus?
Interestingly there are about 40 varieties of oregano so you have to be selective. For getting the best therapeutic value from oregano oil, use the oil made from wild oregano or Oregano vulgare. This variety is generally available in Spain.
There are many phytochemical compounds in oregano oil that worked together to produce antimicrobial capabilities. Carvacrol and thymol are the two main compounds that are natural fungicides and antibacterial agents. They kill and stop fungal growth on your toenails and fingernails.
Carvacrol in particular directly works on candida and many other bacteria such as staphylococcus E. coli, Salmonella and many others.
Another compound called terpenes, also a very powerful antibacterial, acts on fungus to kill it.
Oregano oil also has many antioxidants that helps to improve your immune system and fight against free radicals.
Oregano oil can be used in many different ways to treat the toenail and other finger fungus. It can be taken internally and applied externally. Oregano oil can be used alone or along with other ingredients mainly other oils.
Following are some of the best ways to use oregano oil to get rid of toenail fungus .
The worst thing about toenail fungus is that it is very unsightly. The white scaly growth occurs on the toe, making the toenail brittle and discolored. In most cases there is no pain. So what we are dealing with here is aesthetics. Oregano oil alone and sometimes with other ingredients does a very good job of treating toenail fungus.
Since the toenail finish takes time to grow over years, it also takes time to go. So, treat your toenail fungus with patience. Don't give up on the treatment just because you are not seeing any quick results.
Oregano Oil is extremely powerful and can irritate skin. Since your application is on the nail you will get some skin irritation around your nail where it will come in contact with the skin.
- Apply 2-3 drops of oregano oil on the affected toenail and spread it in the entire surface area of the nail with a cotton swab.
- Don't move until it is absorbed by the nail. It might take a few minutes.
- Keep your toes open. Don't wear socks or shoes.
- Do it 3-4 times daily.
In fact you should not wear socks or shoes as far as practically possible. Wear rubber flip-flops instead. The six and show provide a moist environment to the fungi where it thrives.
If you can bear the temporary irritant on the surrounding skin then fine, otherwise you can use oregano oil with other carrier oil as explained under.
Never dilute oregano oil in water. Water and oil form emulsion and the original benefits are lost.
Olive oil is a good carrier for oregano oil. The diluted Oregano oil in the olive oil will not irritate the surrounding skin
- Add 2-3 drops of oregano boil in 2-3 drops of oil is oil.
- Mix well and apply by a cotton swab on the entire nail.
- Do it 2-3 times daily.
You can add jojoba oil or tea tree oil. Both these oils also have powerful antimicrobial and anti-fungal capabilities.
You can add equal aunties of jojoba oil or tea tree oil in oregano oil and apply 2-3 drops of the mixture. Let it get absorbed by the nail. Do it 3-4 times daily.
Coconut oil also possesses antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. You can use the combination of oregano oil with coconut oil for both the internal consumption and for the topical application.
- Oral Application - Coconut oil is one of the best carriers for oregano oil to consume orally. Add 2-3 drops of Oregano Oil in a teaspoon of coconut oil. Mix it well and consume.
- Topical Application - Take 3 drops of oregano oil and mix it with 10 drops of coconut oil. Apply the mixture on the nail and the surrounding skin as well under the nail if possible. The lauric acid in coconut oil will kill fungus if any in the surrounding skin. You can do this 2-3 times daily.
Diet plays an important role in getting rid of any fungal infection and toenail fungus is no exception. Since toenail fungus is out of the circulation system of the body it takes more time for the fungus to respond to dietary changes.
It requires long term commitment to change your diet to be effective.
Fundamentally the following changes are required in your diet.
- Reduce Sugar - Since fungus thrives on sugar, all kinds of refined sugar must be given up. This means no sodas, no added sugar and no white flour. Even you have to limit consumption of fruit juices.
- Eat Healthy - Eat fiber rich healthy food rich in proteins and unsaturated fats. Reduce carbohydrates.
Probiotics - Consume more probiotics which are good bacteria rich foods to improve the balance of good versus bad bacteria.
So this means you will consume lots of colorful vegetables, vegetable green juices, flaxseed, garlic, ginger turmeric and other healthy foods.