If you have adenomyosis then you get debilitating pains and prolonged heavy bleeding during menstruation.
Your uterus is getting enlarged without perhaps you being aware. Check it out with your doctor if you feel the abdomen getting tender and putting pelvic pressure. Natural treatments will help in most cases but severe cases may require surgery.
Table of Contents
- What is Adenomyosis
- 5 Home Remedies for Adenomyosis
- Yoga for Adenomyosis
- Foods to Help with Adenomyosis
- Other Tips and Precautions
Adenomyosis is a condition in which the endometrial tissue that lines the interior of your uterus breaks into the muscular walls of the uterus called myometrium.
This makes the uterus walls thicker leading to enlarged uterus and painful excessive bleeding.
The condition generally gets cured itself after the menopause.
- Heavy bleeding
- Prolonged period of bleeding
- Debilitating pelvic pain during menstruation
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Pain during sex
- Tenderness in lower abdomen
- Bloating before menstruation
Symptoms of adenomyosis can be confused with the symptoms of uterine fibroids which are very similar. Proper diagnosis is necessary to treat the condition.
The exact cause of adenomyosis is not yet known. it is believed that the following hormones may trigger the condition
- Follicle stimulating hormone
Adenomyosis is a common uterus problem for women
Following are the main risk factors for adenomyosis
- Women aged between 35 to 50
- Women who had children or terminated pregnancy
- Women with prior history of surgery
Following tests are done in the following sequence after adenomyosis us suspected
- Physical pelvic examination check tenderness of uterus
- Ultrasound to rule out other conditions with similar symptoms
- MRI to confirm the diagnosis of adenomyosis
Adenomyosis pain can be significantly reduced in most cases with the following home remedies
Natural Treatment for Adenomyosis
Hot compress is a good instant pain reliever. You need a hot pad or hot water bottle.
- Lie down on your back in a comfortable bed and calm room
- Place a hot pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen
- Keep it for about 5 minutes
- You can move its position as you like to cover more area
- Do it 2-3 times a day during those tough days
Massage helps to reduce pain by relaxing muscles. You can use coconut oil for massage. Add essential oils like cedarwood or lavender to get calmness.
- Take one teaspoon of coconut oil
- Add 2-3 drops of cedarwood or lavender oil ( optional)
- Mix well
- Massage your abdomen in circular motion around your navel for couple of minutes before going to bed
- Leave it overnight, both the essential oils help you to sleep well
- Do it during the day one more time
Aloe Vera juice is anti-inflammatory. Don't buy the commercially available sweetened juices. Make it at home.
- Extract translucent aloe vera gel by slitting a fresh leaf
- Discard the green
- Store it in a sealed jar in refrigerator.
- Take 2 spoons of gel and mix it in a fruit juice of your choice
- Drink and enjoy
- Do it twice daily
Ginger tea is anti-inflammatory and pain relieving. It will reduce your adenomyosis pain.
- Peel and grate 1 inch of ginger root
- Put one glass of water to boil
- Add grated ginger to the water and lower the flame
- Simmer it for 5 minutes. Tea is ready
- Strain the tea in a cup and let it cool a bit to palatable temperature
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and mix well
- Drink and enjoy
- Do it 2-3 times a day
Turmeric milk is an anti-inflammatory drink.
- Boil one glass of milk
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to the milk
- Much well and let it cool a bit for ease of drinking without buying your mouth
- Drink it warm and enjoy.
- Do it daily before going to the bed
Following yoga asanas help to reduce pain and suffering of Adenomyosis.
- Savasana - Corpse pose
- Pawanmuktasana - Wind release pose
- Bhujangasana - Cobra pose
- Paripurna Navasana - Boat pose
- Malasana - Squat Pose
- Vajrasana - Rock pose
In addition learn deep breathing and meditation to add to your lifestyle to effectively manage adenomyosis bleeding and pain.
Learn these yoga asanas from experts to do it right and get benefits.
Following foods will help in your adenomyosis diet plan
- Fruits and vegetables salads
- Orange juice, raspberry juice
- Omega 3 fatty acid rich foods
- Lots of water
- Pumpkin seeds
- Plant and animal proteins
The above uses a wide category. Choose your pick daily for variety. The aim is to get all nutrients to stay healthy and improve immunity.
Avoid following foods
- Too much salt
- Sugar and sugary drinks
- Pickles and vinegar
- White rice, white wheat flour
For some women, citrus fruits, mangos cherries etc can increase acidity.
So, avoid everything that causes acidity in your personal case.
Following Precautions will help you to reduce adenomyosis pain.
- Make sure that you eat balanced diet to get minerals, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and other important nutrients.
- Reduce exposure to air conditioning as far as possible as it stiffens muscles and increases pain.
Bottomline is, diet and lifestyle are key to effectively deal with adenomyosis. So be disciplined and stick to the right kind of food, yoga and meditation.