If You Get a Sore Throat, Treat it Naturally
Anything that gives pain, irritation or sense of itchiness to the throat causes sore throat. This painful condition makes it difficult to swallow food. Sore throats are painful and annoying, but fortunately they can be cured by simple home remedies and restore normalcy quickly.
Most sore throats are caused by minor illnesses therefore they are not life threatening conditions. The underlying causes of sore throats generally are
- Viral infections such as common cold, mono, mumps and flu
- Bacterial infections such as strep throat, tonsillitis, adenoiditis, peritonsillar abscess and epiglottitis
- Conditions such as acid reflux heartburn or chronic fatigue syndrome
- Sexually transmitted infections such as Gonorrhea and Chlamydia
- Irritants such as smoking air pollution post nasal drip and even yelling
As you can see that there are numerous causes of sore throat, therefore the treatment must be done keeping the underlying cause in the focus
Irrespective of the cause of your sore throat the following home remedies will help you to get pain relief and recover from the conditions soon.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Though you may be tempted to run to a doctor to get rid of your sore throat, it is really not necessary in most cases. Why not try some time tested home remedies first before going to the doctor. In most of the cases you will get relief within a week. If the conditions still persists then you can go to the doctor or if you feel that something serious may be causing the sore throat then also you must visit even if it is just a thought.
Doctors generally prescribe antibiotics and some cough syrup. Antibiotics are not good for your long term health as most of the bacteria develops resistance for antibiotics. So, unless it is absolutely necessary, you shouldn't be taking antibiotics. However, the final decision of whether you should take antibiotics or not is your doctor's discretion. Leave it to him/her to decide.
Following are easy but effective remedies for sore throat. try one or more to get pain relief and for faster recovery.
1. Take Sufficient Rest
Taking sufficient rest is one of the best home remedies for sore throat and many other infections. Resting allows the body to heal itself against the external threats.
How many of us really take sufficient rest when we are sick? Sore throat doesn't make you completely sick, so the need for rest appears as unnecessary. But you really do not know what rest can do to your sore throat no other natural remedy or medicine can do.
If you take rest and use natural remedies then you will quickly recover from the sore throat.
2. Increase Your Fluids Intake
This is another common sense action to fight with infections. Dehydrated body compromises your immune system so it becomes incapable to fight with the external threats with full force.
Most of us are generally dehydrated due to our current air conditioned lifestyle. So it is very much possible the dehydration would have actually been a catalyst for acquiring the infection that causes the sore throat.
Begin to drink water and juices every one hour to not only stay hydrated but also to get the required nutrients and Minerals. The water and juices will keep you hydrated and the juices will provide you nutrients as well.
So, if you take sufficient rest and stay hydrated you will recover quickly and safely without any side effects of those medicines which you would have otherwise consumed.
3. Gargle with Salt Water
This is one of the oldest grandmother's remedies to get rid of the sore throat.
The gargling with salt water reduces the infection and swelling in the mucous membranes that were inflamed by whatever has caused the sore throat
Salt helps to suck the water out of the swelled membranes. This reduces swelling and reduces pain. You begin to feel better as the process helps to remove the excess mucus and clearing the throat
A class of slightly warm water and add half teaspoon of common salt mix it well your saltwater is ready for gargling.
Make sure the water is warm not hot. If you want you can add half teaspoon of baking soda to the warm salt water and mix it well. Baking soda is antibacterial therefore gargling with salt water and baking soda will be much more powerful than gargling with just the warm salt water.
4. Inhale Steam
Inhaling steam is also one of the very old methods of treating sore throats. Steam going through your mouth and nose condensers inside and moisturizes the membranes which are dried out due to the infection.
The moisture helps release the mucus from the membranes and move it out. That reduces and swelling giving pain relief.
- Boil water in boiling pot
- Keep the boiling pot on a table
- Sit on a comfortable chair near the table in such a way that you can bend your head so that your face stays 6-8 inch away from the steam pot facing directly the pot.
- Put a towel on your head in such a way that it forms a tent sort of condition to keep your head and the pot both inside it. This will stop the steam to escape outside the tent.
- Slowly inhale the steam from the mouth and exhale from the nose for some time then inhale from the nose and exhale from the mouth.
- Take out your face every couple of minutes from the towel tent to breath fresh air before repeating the steal inhalation.
About 10 minutes of steam inhalation 3 times a day will get rid of your sore throat quickly.
5. Use Honey and Turmeric
Both honey and turmeric are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory substances. You can use honey and turmeric in many different ways to clear your sore throat
- Just lick teaspoon of honey 3 to 4 times a day
- Add one teaspoon of honey to warm water and sip it slowly
- Add a teaspoon of honey in half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in warm water mix it well and drink 3 to 4 times a day
Mix turmeric powder in a tablespoon of honey until you get a very thick consistency paste. Divide the thick paste into 3-4 portions. Roll each portion to make small balls. Keep one turmeric honey ball in the mouth and let it melt on its own. Don't suck it. Use the rest of the honey turmeric balls after every 2-3 hours to finish them in a day. If you do this daily for two three days then your sore throat will be gone. This particularly works very well if you start this process at the onset of the sore throat problem
6. Consume Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a very potent remedy to get rid of your sore throat quickly. You can drink diluted apple cider vinegar by slowly sipping it or you can even add honey to make the taste better as well as make the mixture more effective to combat sore throat.
- Take one cup of warm water
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Add one teaspoon of honey
- Mix them all well and sip it warm
If you don't like the taste of Apple Cider Vinegar and don't want to have it, then take one cup of warm water, add 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it well. Gargle with this solution.
7. Drink Chamomile tea
Chamomile with its antispasmodic properties and active antibacterial capabilities is a very good remedy for sore throat. It has been used to treat throat infections and other similar problems for a very long time around the globe.
Camomile Tea is generally available in the form of tea bags.
- Take a cup of boiling water
- Add 1 bag of chamomile tea
- Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Let it cool down to palatable temperature you can add some honey and lemon for taste
Sip it slowly why it is still warm
How to Prevent Sore Throat
In most cases sore throat is preventable. If you take care of the following aspects then you are most likely to save yourself from getting a sore throat
- Stay away from the people who are already suffering from flu and strep throat
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods
- Stay away from chemical fumes smokes and other irritants
- Don't yell
- Wash your hands more frequently
In spite of all the precautions you might still get an occasional sore throat so don't panic and use the above remedies.