When balance between the good and the bad bacteria in your vagina tilts towards bad bacteria an infection called bacterial vaginosis can occur. This overgrowth of bad bacteria causes a white, thick and foul smelling discharge from vagina.
You may also experience painful burning sensation with redness and swelling in the genitourinary tract. You are more susceptible to bacterial vaginosis if you are aged between 16-50 years.
You can get rid of bacterial vaginosis with simple home remedies as this condition is usually not very dangerous.
Having more than one sex partner and excessive smocking are generally the main risk factors. Even douching which earlier used to be considered safe can cause bacterial vaginosis. However, in most cases the actual cause is still a mystery for scientists.
Though bacterial vaginosis may disappear on its own, it is better to treat it as soon as any symptoms appear.
Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis
The main aim in this case is to re-balance the bad and good bacteria. The overgrowth of bad bacteria must be curtailed and be replaced by good bacteria. This will eliminate the infection and treat bacterial vaginosis.
Yogurt contains lactobacillus bacteria which is very powerful good bacteria to fight bad bacteria. The beneficial impact of lactobacillus bacteria comes from vaginal ph balancing.
You can apply yogurt in many different ways to use it as a home remedy for bacterial vaginosis
- Take 2 tablespoon of yogurt in a cup
- Apply it in the affected area with the help of a cotton pad
- Leave it there for 30 minutes and wash it with warm water
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day
Another method is to use tampons
- Dip a tampon in yogurt as you normally do it without yogurt and insert it in the vagina as you normally do it without yogurt
- Remove it after 2 hours and wash the area with water.
- Do it twice daily until cured
In addition to the above, eat at-least 200gms of yogurt daily. This will create good-bad bacteria balance in the intestine as well as in vagina.
Garlic is a powerful antibiotic with strong anti-fungal capabilities. It can be used as a home remedy to treat bacterial vaginosis in days. Use garlic in cooking your daily meals as well as direct application on the affected area.
- Crush a couple of garlic cloves and mash them, Smear on the affected area. It might give an initial sting, but will be alright after a few seconds. Wash your vagina after two hours with warm water.
- Smear the crushed garlic on a tampon and insert it in your vagina. Leave it for two hours. Remove the tampon and rinse your vagina with warm water.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best natural disinfectants. It eliminates the bad bacteria by oxidizing it.
Hydrogen peroxide is normally available in 3% solution. You can use it by soaking in tampon and inserting in the vagina. Leave it there for 20 minutes, remove the tampon and rinse the area with warm water.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home remedy for bacterial vaginosis. It increases the acidity of the vaginal area that makes it difficult for the bad bacteria to survive. It hits the bacterial vaginosis in two ways; one by stopping the bad bacteria and the other way is to increase the good bacteria.
- Dip a tampon on apple cider vinegar and insert in vagina. Keep it there for 2 hours. Remove the tampon and wash the area.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar in a tub of warm water. Sit in the tub for 30 minutes so that your vaginal area is dipped in the apple cider vinegar water. Rinse it with warm water.
Do the above until bacterial vaginosis is gone.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has natural antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal capabilities. It not only gets rid of bacterial vaginosis but also prevents it from recurring. Coconut oil is also very good to boost immune system. You can drink a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil daily for best results.
As a remedy for bacterial vaginosis, you can either use it directly by applying on the affected area or soaking a tampon in coconut oil and inserting in your vagina. Leave it there for a couple of hours or more. Remove the tampon, and rinse the area with warm water.