Migraine is a common problem among women as they are three times more susceptible to migraine pain than men according to the statistical evidence.
Everyone's migraine is different, some people get migraine pains only once in a while but others may get it almost every day. What works on you may not work on others. So treatment of migraine is hit and try until you hit the bulls eye.
Some natural herbs like Feverfew treat migraine well in most cases.
You can grow Feverfew in your backyard and use it's leaves to get rid of your migraine. Like other medicines you gave to take Feverfew every day for months.
Table of Contents
- How Feverfew Treats Migraine?
- How to Use Feverfew to Get Migraine Pain Relief?
- Side Effects of Feverfew
- Other Tips and Precautions
Feverfew is a perennial herbal plant from the Daisy family. Its leaves in fresh, dried and tincture forms are widely used for medicinal purposes including treatment of migraine.
Feverfew contains many chemical compounds including parthenolide which helps to reduce migraine.
You need to take Feverfew for months to get migraine relief. It is now widely used in many prescribed medicines for migraine. Canadian government approves use of Feverfew in formulations (0.2% parthenolide) to claim migraine benefits.
After taking Feverfew for months your migraine headache frequencies may come down or even them completely disappear.
When your migraines disappear you have to gradually reduce the consumption of Feverfew.
You need Feverfew leaves to get rid of your migraine pain. It has to be used daily for months to get the desired results of migraine pain relief.
The best way to get a regular supply of Feverfew is to grow it in your backyard.
Feverfew leaves are generally 4-12 centimeter long.
- Pluck 3 small leaves (4 cm) or one large leaf (10 cm)
- Wash them clean with water
- Chop and add to your salad or
- Chop fine and mix it one teaspoon of honey
- Eat it daily
- Wash many Feverfew leaves with water and dab each one dry to remove all the moisture
- Spread the leaves in one layer on clean floor in well ventilated area by (no direct sunlight)
- Keep it for few days until the leaves become dry and brittle
- Collect all dry leaves and make powder in a spice grinder
- Store it in vacuum sealed glass container
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of dried powder on your salad or
- Mix ½ teaspoon of Feverfew powder in a teaspoon of honey to eat
Feverfew has bitter taste so some if you may not like it. Here us how you can make Feverfew tea
- Fill one and half glass of water in a saucepan
- Add ½ teaspoon of Feverfew powder in it
- Put the water to boil
- Stop the burner once half cup of water is evaporated
- Let it cool to platable temperature
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and mix well
- Make tea and drink it once daily
Whichever of the above methods you use , you will begin to see results in a couple of weeks. You will notice less frequent episodes of migraine pains. Continue taking it for months until your migraines are gone.
You shouldn't suddenly stop taking Feverfew after years of its use as this might cause migraines to come back. This is called “ Feverfew rebound syndrome”. Your migraines come back with all symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and insomnia.
Therefore gradually reduce the quantities and take about a month to finally completely stop.
Feverfew is likely safe to consume for a period of 4 months in small amounts. People who have taken it for longer have shown different side effects as under:
You may get one or more of the following side effects or may not get any.
- joint stiffness
- menstrual changes
- pounding heart
- trouble sleeping
- upset stomach
- weight gain
- Consult a doctor before you begin to take Feverfew and monitor your performance
- Take it daily for months to get the migraine pain relief
- Stop it gradually by reducing quantities over a span of a month to completely give it up.
- Rest in a dark quiet room. Absence of light helps migraine pain relief
- Massage your temples
- Do deep breathing
- Stay hydrated
- Exercise regularly
Bottomline is that Feverfew can treat your migraines and follow the above tips then your migraine will disappy sooner than later.