Almonds are one of the most loved nuts. They are widely used in snacks. You can cut them or shred them to add to your desserts to get some extra zest or add them to your cooking.
As a snack item most of the time they are salted and roasted before being consumed. Some people soak them overnight and eat in the morning after removing the peel.
Almost every food item can be used in so many different ways. So what's so special about Almonds?
Well, like many other food items Almonds also give best health benefits, if it is eaten in a particular specific way.
Why Almonds are so Nutritional?
The following data from ASDA is based on 100 grams of almonds.
- Total Fat 49 g 75%
Saturated fat 3.7 g 18%
Polyunsaturated fat 12 g
Monounsaturated fat 31 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
- Sodium 1 mg 0%
- Potassium 705 mg 20%
- Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7%
- Dietary fiber 12 g 48%
- Sugar 3.9 g
- Protein 21 g 42%
- Calcium 26%
- Iron 20%
- Vitamin B-6 5%
- Magnesium 67%
Researchers have found that if you eat at least 3 servings of Almonds every week, then you reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases by 55% and risk of Cancer by 40%.
So you see, it is a fantastic nutritional food item that you cannot ignore. If you want to remain healthy and do not want to die with these two most dreaded diseases which kills more than 25% of the entire population, then you must eat almonds regularly.
High levels of potassium, calcium and magnesium maintain your heart and muscles healthy. That's why you don't get cardiovascular diseases if you are a regular almond eater. Of course other factors such as active lifestyle and proper diet also matter.
Almonds also have phytonutrients and antioxidants that benefits in cardiovascular health as well as in cancer protection.
You might have seen high fat content in the list above, but don't worry these are good fats which help you to lower your weight. There is no cholesterol in almonds.
Following are some of the main health benefits of Almonds
- Help to prevent heart attacks and strokes
- Improve brain functioning
- Control blood sugar levels and help prevent diabetes
- Fight cancer and inflammations
- Improve digestion
- Strengthen bones and teeth
- Maintain good skin health
- Help in weight loss
The secret to get all the above health benefits almonds rest with the way you eat them.
What is the Best Way to Eat Almonds?
Let us first look at some of the wrong ways to consume Almonds.
- Salted almonds widely used as snacks across the globe. Added salt destroys the heart health benefits.
- Munching them quickly is another bad habit lots of people have developed. In order to get the best benefits the almonds have to be chewed well for a longer period before ingesting them. It is believed that chewing almond 32 times before it goes into your throat is the best way to get all the nutrients.
Now the Crux of the matter - what is the best way to eat almonds?
Soak them overnight and remove the brown skin before you eat them. The almond peel is rich in tannins that prevent nutrient absorption.
So, if you are consuming this expensive nutrition rich food item with its peel intact then you are losing out on the nutrients that it contains.
1 serving of 28 gram is about 9 almonds.
- Soak 9 Almonds daily overnight
- Remove the peek in the morning and eat them
- Chew each almond at least 32 times.
You will then get the best nutrients absorption from almonds and protect yourself from cardiovascular diseases and cancer and live healthy.