Home remedies for oily skin include simple food items, but they go a long way in solving your most annoying problem.
You generally inherit skin type. If your parents had oily skin then the chances are very high that your skin will also be oily skin.
All skins are nourished by the natural oils produced by the body; that is why you are able to keep a healthy and youthful appearance in your prime time. However sometimes overproduction of natural oil sebum can clog the pores and cause breakouts.
Other than the genetic reasons, oily skin can also be caused by hormone fluctuations during puberty, pregnancy, menstruation and stress. Even birth control pills and some skin care products can cause oily skin.
There are a number of home remedies that can reduce the oil from your oily skin and make you look youthful and fresh again. Some of them are given below:
Home Remedies for Oily Skin
Though oily skin clogs the pores and causes breakout, it is very bad to have oily skin. In fact you will age more gracefully. Wrinkles and dark spots will not appear as fast on oily skin as fast they appear on dry skins.
1. Aloe Vera for Oily Skin
Aloe Vera can absorb excess oil from the skin and keep the skin moisturized. It also possesses antimicrobial properties so it can treat acne prone oil skin very well.
- Cut a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract gel. You can use some and store the rest in refrigerator for further use
- Apply the fresh gel on your face
- Leave it there fore 30 minutes and let it dry
- Rinse it with warm water
You can do it 2-3 times a day daily for weeks to experience your oily skin less messy, clean and smooth.
2. Tomato for Oily Skin
Tomato is Vitamin C rich vegetable with astringent properties. It is a very good home remedy for oily skin. it absorbs the excess oil from the skin
- Cut tomato in 4 equal parts
- Rub each slice on your face
- Leave it there for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse it with warm water
3. Clay Mask for Oily Skin
Bentonite face mask is a great facial mask for oily and greasy skin. Bentonite is also known as the green clay. This is perhaps the best clay you can ever get for a facial mask. In case you do not get green clay, then the other local versions of clay will also do a good job for reducing oily skin.
- Take 1 tablespoon of green clay
- Add a small quantity of warm water to make a consistent paste ( you will require only a few drops or less than half a teaspoon water)
- Add 3 -4 drops of any essential Vitamin E oil
- Mix everything well and apply on your face
- Leave it there fore 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water
4. Lemon Juice for Oily Skin
Lemon juice contains many nutrients that are good for your health and skin. In addition to get rid of oily skin, lemon juice can also be used to lighten dark skin and remove dark spots caused by sun exposure or aging.
For your oily skin, you can apply lemon juice as under:
- Clean your skin with warm water
- Take one tablespoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of water and mix it well
- Apply on your skin by rubbing it in the circular motion
- Leave it there for 10-15 minutes until it dries
- Rinse it off with warm water
5. Yogurt for Oily Skin
Yogurt is full of nutrients. Its consumption helps treat all kinds of intestinal and skin problems. It is also great for various solving skin problems including oily skin. This is what makes yogurt so special that you can reap the skin benefits by either eating it or using direct facial application.
Make sure that you have either prepared yogurt or bought plain unsweetened unflavored yogurt. Chemical in the flavored yogurt may irritate your skin.
Yogurt with fat and live culture is the best for reducing oiliness of the skin.
- Apply yogurt on your face uniformly
- Leave it there for 15 minutes
- Rinse it clean with warm water
Your skin may feel tingling as the yogurt dries. Apply yogurt 2-3 times a week on your face. You will see your skin texture changing gradually. If the pores are smaller now then you are getting the right benefits. You can increase the time period to 30 minutes.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar for Oily Skin
Apple cider vinegar has both astringent as well as antibacterial capabilities. It also moisturizes the skin. You can use it on your face to effectively reduce oiliness of the skin
- Add 2 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in half cup of water and stir it well to mix
- Apply the mix by a cotton ball on your face
- Leave it there for 10 minutes
- Rinse it with warm water.
You can do it daily to see faster results.
7. Cucumber for Oily Skin
Cucumber is a very good remedy for oily skin. Its cooling and soothing properties as well as astringent capabilities makes it ideal candidate for treating many skin conditions. In addition this nutritious vegetable has vitamins A and E as well as minerals such as magnesium and potassium which are all good for oily skin.
- Cut cucumber into 5mm thick slices
- Rub it on your face and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
If you want to use it at night then you can rub the cucumber on your face and leave it overnight. Rinse it out with warm water in the morning.
You can also mix lemon juice to cucumber juice in equal quantities and apply it on the face. Leave it there for 30 minutes and rinse it out with warm water.
You can do this daily.
If you really take care of your oily skin by eating a good healthy diet with less fat contents and use one or more of the above remedies, then you can really enjoy looking young and energetic throughout the year.
You will look younger too as oily skin wrinkles less and wrinkles late.