When a skin gets cut, bruised, bitten, burnt, pierced or damaged due to any other condition such as acne, body produces collagen to heal the damaged tissue. This leaves a scar that feds away with time and skin looks smooth and normal again.
However, some scars will not fade away, but will grow and become bigger than the original wound. These are called keloid scars. They can appear anywhere in the body but they are more common on shoulders, head and neck.The keloid scar generally do not pain but can be itchy.
They look ugly and you want to remove them. Most medical treatment such as surgery, laser and injections are expensive but you can get rid of most keloid scars with home remedies.
5 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Keloid Scars
You can't avoid the keloid if you are prone to it, but you certainly can take care to not injure your skin to avoid keloids. if you have got it then try the following to gradually fade away the scar.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice lightens the color of the skin. It is used for many skin conditions including keloids. Since it contains antioxidants and vitamin c it improves the texture, appearance and color of the skin.
Extract fresh lemon juice and apply it directly on your skin. The skin may get irritated initially but don't worry. Leave it there for 30 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Apply Aloe Vera. Do it 2-3 times a day for 6-8 weeks for best results on fading keloid scars.
Garlic may leave lingering smell that you may not like but garlic will do a good job of fading your keloid scars. It prevents excess production of fibrous collagen thereby reducing the size.
- crush a garlic clove and immediately apply on the keloid. make sure that the juice is not lost.
- leave it on the keloid surface for 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
You can apply garlic oil also, but it may not be easily available everywhere so better use the garlic clove.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very good home remedies for many skin problems including keloid. It minimizes the scar and reduces redness.
- Dab apple cider vinegar directly on the affected skin and gently massage the area. keep adding vinegar during the massage. Do it for 5 minutes for 5-6 times a day for 6-8 weeks.
- If the apple cider vinegar stings or you feel burn then dilute it with an equal amount of water and massage.
If the skin area such as back is nor accessible then take the help of your partner to massage apple cider vinegar on you keloids.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda works on the keloids in different way than the other products listed here. Baking soda is an excellent exfoliating agent. The exfoliation of the excess tissue helps in managing the keloid.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda with water.
- Gently rub on the affected area and leave a thick layer of the paste on the keloids.
- Leave it there until it becomes dry and removes itself from the skin.
- Wash with warm water and apply lavender oil.
This time aspirin will not be orally consumed but applied on the keloid. It helps reducing the scar size.
- Crush one or more aspirin tablets depending on the size of the scar and mix water to make a thick paste
- Apply it on the keloids buy gently rubbing it. Leave it there to dry.
- Wash the area with warm water and apply tea tree oil.
If you have developed a very large keloid then these home remedies will not be very effective and you will have to seek medical attention. But, for all small keloids these should work. Just have patience.