Swollen gums is painful condition that causes a lot of discomfort. Gum injury, infection or allergy can cause gum swelling.
When there is swelling in the gum, gums can protrude out and the area becomes red instead of its usual pink color. The gum tissues are thick fibrous tissues with a lots of blood capillaries. The swollen gums can easily bleed when you are brushing or flossing your teeth.
1. Lemon water
Lemon is a nutritious fruit with calcium, potassium, Vitamin C , Vitamin A and pectin fiber. Lemon also has antiseptic and antibacterial capabilities. Lemon makes a very good home remedy for reducing pain from swollen gums.
- Add juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water
- add 1/2 teaspoon of common salt and stir it well to dissolve salt completely
- take a big sip and squish it inside the mouth for 15 seconds and spit it out
- continue squishing for 15 seconds with each sip until the entire glass is completed.
After finishing rinsing your mouth with the above lemon salt combination. Add the juice of the other half of the lemon to another glass of water. Add a teaspoon of honey. Stir it well and sip the concoction.
Do it once daily for a week. If the swelling still persist then visit your dentist.
2. Alum for Gum Swelling
Alum is widely used in medical practices around the world. It is easily available in white rock forms in almost every grocery store.
Alum is antiseptic and kills germs. It is also an astringent making the skin tissue to shrink.
- take a rock or two of alum to make powder.
- take one tablespoon at a time and store the rest in a sealed glass jar for future use.
- mix one tablespoon in a glass of warm water
- squish the solution in your mouth for 15 seconds in every sip
- finish the entire glass of alum water by squishing
- rinse you mouth with fresh water
3. Massage Your Gums with Mustard oil
Mustard oil is an excellent antiseptic and anti-bacterial oil having Glucosinolate as an active anti-microbial agent. Massaging your gums with mustard oil will not only stimulate blood circulation but will also relieve inflammation due to its microbial properties.
- add a pinch of salt to a tablespoon of mustard oil
- wash and clean your hands with soap and water
- dip you index finger of the right hand in the mustard oil or left hand depending on whether you are a right handed or left handed person
- massage you affected gum with the mustard smeared index finger
If you can't get rid of the gum swelling pain by the above remedies then your gums conditions are severely affected by gingivitis or other serious gum disease. Meet your dentist and fix it before your teeth gets damaged.