Diabetes is a metabolic disorder. It causes the blood glucose (sugar) levels to rise above normal. The condition is also called hyperglycemia.
Blood glucose levels are controlled by insulin produced by the pancreas. Initially, when blood sugar levels rise, the pancreas produces extra insulin to balance glucose levels, but eventually, when it can’t cope, the glucose levels remain high causing diabetes.
In diabetes type 1 body doesn’t produce insulin and it is usually diagnosed in childhood itself. Whereas in diabetes type 2 which is a lifestyle disorder, the body is not able to use insulin properly or insulin resistance is developed.
Diabetes type 2 can be managed with lifestyle changes, medicine, and insulin.
The following 7 natural home remedies for diabetes type 2 will help you to maintain your glucose levels at normal levels.
1. Bitter Gourd
It contains many active substances such as charantin, vicine polypeptide-p, lectin, etc. These substances work independently and together to reduce blood glucose levels to manage diabetes.
- For best effect take 3-4 bitter gourds. Wash it clean, cut, and remove the seeds. Make a juice of the bitter gourd and drink it early in the morning empty stomach daily for a month.
- You can also cook bitter gourd as vegetables for daily consumption. Different variations of cooking the dishes from bitter gourd will maintain the pleasure of eating as well as help cure diabetes.
The rich pink and red colored grapefruits are tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness. Grapefruit is an excellent food for diabetes. Its pink juice may appear inviting but some people may not initially like the taste.
It is a very good source of vitamin C which helps to support the immune system. A chemical called naringenin found in the fruit has capabilities to treat type-2 diabetes.
Grapefruit juice tends to interact with enzymes in the body that break down many drugs. Therefore too much use of grapefruit can be harmful to those who are on any kind of medication.
How to use grapefruit?
- Drink a fresh glass of grapefruit juice daily
- Add chopped grapefruit slices to salad and eat
- Use grapefruit juice as a salad dressing
Check with your doctor and use grapefruit to reduce your blood sugar levels to manage diabetes.
Cinnamon is a spice used in both sweet and savory foods. Many different studies have shown that cinnamon may lower blood sugar by decreasing insulin resistance. Some other studies have been inconclusive on its significant impact on diabetes.
The spice adds flavor and taste to food so the use of cinnamon otherwise also is beneficial. Though the results of different studies are neutral to useful, taking a small amount of cinnamon (1-6 grams) daily for 40 days should have been shown to help reduce mean fasting serum glucose levels by 18-29%.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cinnamon to a liter of water. Boil it and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it 3-4 times a day to consume the entire 1-liter mixture.
- Add cinnamon to regular food dishes
4. NEEM Leaves
Every part of the Neem tree ranging from bark, flowers, fruit, and leaves has some medicinal value. Neem leaves in particular are useful in the control of diabetes type 2. Chewing tender Neem leaves is a potent natural diabetes treatment. Another way to consume neem leaves is to make an extract of tender neem leaves and take a teaspoon daily early in the morning empty stomach.
You can consume neem leaves in the following 3 different ways.
- Take 4-5 tender leaves from the tree and wash and rinse in clean water. Chew it slowly early in the morning with an empty stomach.
- Buy or make neem leaves extract and drink 1 teaspoon everyday morning.
- Buy neem leaves tablets and consume one tablet empty stomach daily. You can also make powder of dried neam leaves and consume it.
Many doctors in countries like India prescribe neem tablets for the treatment and prevention of diabetes.
The seeds of fenugreek have been found effective as a natural diabetes cure. Take a teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds Powder and chew it daily early in the morning. Another way is to soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Mesh the wet fenugreek seeds in the morning and lick the paste.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt to a glass of water. Mix it well and drink it. Doing it 3 times a day is of very useful for diabetes
Eating two raw garlic cloves daily is very useful for people suffering from diabetes. If eating is difficult due to its pungent smell then swallowing small pieces of cut garlic cloves is also useful in diabetes. It has shown positive results in reducing heart problems also.
Get more information on the causes, symptoms, and prevention of diabetes in the other related articles: