Chilblains (perniosis) are painful, reddish swellings on toes, fingers, nose and ear lobes due to exposure to excessive cold. Sometimes they may affect heels, lower legs and thighs.
Chilblains are caused due to narrowing of blood vessels beneath the skin due to cold. When skin warms these vessels expand and can leak into nearby tissues causing swelling and itching.
Chilblains is a seasonal condition of skin during winter. It usually heals itself within 2-3 weeks without any treatment. It also gets better when the warm season sets in. Following home remedies for chilblains will reduce the itching and swelling to give you relief before the weather condition changes.
5 Home Remedies to Get Relief from Chilblains
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory capabilities to help you deal with chilblains.
- Cut a lemon into thick slices
- Rub a slice on each affected area or
- Make Lemon Juice and Apply it with a cotton swab on the chilblains affected area
Do it 2-3 times a day to get quick relief from chilblains. Do not apply lemon juice if you have any crack in the skin. It will sting.
2. Calendula and Aloe Vera
If your skin is cracked than calendula is the best home remedy for chilblains. Calendula has anti-inflammatory capabilities to enable quick healing.
- Crush a handful of calendula flowers.
- Add a few drops of warm water to make a thick paste
- Add this paste with an equal amount of fresh Aloe Vera gel
- Rub the Calendula Aloe Vera mix on the affected Chilblains area
3. Onion Juice
Onions have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibiotic capabilities and is one of the oldest remedies for chilblains in use. It will reduce swelling, itch and pain.
- Cut an Onion in thick slices
- Rub the Slices on the Chilblains affected area or
- Cut onion in small pieces and crushed to extract the juice
- Apply the juice with a cotton swab on the affected area
- Leave it there for 10-15 minutes
- Wash can clean the affected area with warm water
Once again make sure that you do not apply onion juice on cracked skin.
4. Red Chili
Cayenne powder or red chili powder is very effective treatment for chilblains. Capsaicin in cayenne powder has pain relieving capabilities.
- Rub cayenne powder on the affected with cotton swab or
- Crush a red chili to make a paste
- Apply this paste with a cotton swab on the affected area.
Make sure that there is no cracked skin in the affected area.
Potato juice has healing capabilities. It will reduce swelling and itching
- Cut potato in to thick slices
- Rub the potato slices on chilblains affected area
You can apply potato juice on the cracked skins also.
In addition to the above remedies, you should also make the following lifestyle changes to recover fast and prevent recurrence of chilblains
- Exercise Regularly - This will improve blood circulation and you will not get chilblains.
- Add Calcium to Your Diet - Calcium deficiency promotes chilblains during winter. Eat more dairy, nuts and other calcium rich food
- Keep Warm - This is the most common sense approach to both recover from and prevent chilblains. Use layers of warm clothes. Do not let your toes, fingers, nose and ear lobes to excessive cold.
- Wear Loose Footwear - Tight fitting shoes will restrict blood flow. Wear shoes with good fitting but they should not be tight to stop blood circulation.
- Quit Smoking - Nicotine constricts blood vessels, so quit smoking to avoid chilblains.
With the above home remedies and a few precautions you should be able to deal with your chilblains well and relieve yourself from its annoying symptoms.