Cough can be viral, bacterial or allergic. In all these cases your body tries to eliminate the irritants from air passage by force of lungs resulting in cough.
As more mucus builds up, your body continues to cough it out. While coughing is good because it is expelling the irritants, it is still a nagging problem to disturb sleep and overall well being.
Your normal temptation to get rid of cough may be to buy a cough syrup or expectorant, but you can do better than that. Try oregano oil. It is one such effective remedy for cough. Oregano oil not only has antiviral and antibacterial capabilities but is also a good natural expectorant.
Table of Contents
- What Causes Cough?
- How Oregano Essential Oil Treats Cough?
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cough?
- How to Prevent Cough?
- Other Tips and Precautions
Cough is your body’s natural reaction to expel unnecessary foreign materials from entering into or to clear blockages caused by them in your respiratory system.
The air you breathe passes from your nose and mouth to the lungs. When the cells of the air passage get irritated your lungs naturally tries to expel them with force. This natural body reaction to eliminate irritants is called coughing.
So if a cough is good, then why should we stop it?
When cough becomes a hurdle to normal living such as impacting sleep etc, then you need to stop it
Cough can be caused by viral and bacterial infections. It can also be a non-infectious cough that may be the result of chronic conditions such as asthma, bronchitis or allergies.
Conventional way to get rid of cough is by using cough syrup and expectorants. These chemical based candy coated medications have side effects. Alternative natural products like oregano oil are more effective and without side effects to get rid of cough.
Before looking into how oregano oil cures cough, let us first understand what is oregano oil.
Oregano oil is an Essential oil extracted from the leaves of an oregano plant called origanum vulgare. It has been in use from ancient times to treat common ailments like skin diseases, stomach problems and respiratory infections such as cough, cold and flu.
Oregano oil is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory with expectorant capabilities. It can kill viruses of all kinds and many other pathogens such as bacteria, fungi and parasites.
Many vitamins and minerals and antioxidants in oregano oil help to improve immunity. Oregano oil contains a large amount of phenols, phytochemicals and flavonoids. The main active compounds are carvacrol and thymol help to get rid of cough cold and flu.
Oregano oil is one of the best essential oils for cough. You can use oregano oil orally as well as externally to get rid of your cough. Try some of the following methods.
This is the simplest way of consuming oregano oil to get rid of cough.
- Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil in half cup of slightly warm water
- Mix well and sip to enjoy
- Drink it 2- 3 times a day.
This increases your immunity to remove cough fast.
This method clears air passage quickly.
- Put two glasses of water on a saucepan
- Remove the saucepan from burner and add 3-5 drops of oregano oil
- Lean over and keep your head 8-10 inch above the saucepan to inhale the vapors for about five minutes
- Do it 2-3 times a day
This will help during sleep
- Add 5 drops of oregano oil in a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
- Mix well
- Rub it on your chest and go to sleep
- Do it daily until cough is gone
This will help you to inhale the oregano oil slowly in the night during your normal breathing.
If you don't prefer to apply oregano oil on your chest then you can use the following method.
- Put 2-3 drops of oregano Oil on a tissue paper
- Keep the tissue paper next to your pillow as you sleep
- Do it daily until cough is gone
If for some reason you do not like the smell then oregano oil capsules are best for you.
This will improve your immune system. It acts slowly but is a very good remedy to get rid of cough.
What should be the doses of oregano oil capsules depends on the manufacturer. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
Prevention is better than cure. It is common sense that if you can avoid getting a cough then you don't have to treat it.
But how do you prevent coughing?
Well there are many things you can do to prevent it.
- Improve your immunity
- Drink lots of water everyday
- Quit smoking and avoid passive smoke
- Avoid pollutant such as smoke, dust and chemical fumes
- Eat healthy diet
- Exercise regularly
It is true that Oregano oil is great for your cough cold and flu, but consuming high amounts can cause problems.
Take the following precautions.
- Use diluted oregano oil for topical use
- Be even more careful while taking it orally. Concentrated essential oils can burn tongue and soft tissues in the mouth
- Consult your doctor if you want to consume oregano oil in higher doses or for long term.
- Dilute it in a carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil before use if you have sensitive skin. You can gradually increase concentration as your skin begins to accepts it.
Oregano oil is perhaps one of the best bets for your cough. Try it out and decide yourself.