Herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections. You may get infected but never get the symptoms in your lifetime as long as your immunity remains high. The Herpes simplex viruses type 1 and 2 that cause genital herpes and cold sores remain dormant in your body. The outbreak occurs when your immunity goes down.
The symptoms of herpes generally disappear itself within 10-14 days. Home remedies help to reduce pain and discomfort. Elderberry for Herpes is an excellent antiviral remedy. Try it out. Always consult your doctor who can monitor the healing process.
Table of Contents
- How Elderberry Treats the Symptoms of Herpes Infection?
- How to Use Elderberry for Herpes and Cold Sores?
- Other Tips and Precautions
Elderberry (sambucus nigra) has very high antiviral and antioxidant properties. In fact it has been used since ancient times to treat all kinds of viral infections such as cold, cough and flu.
It is also used for all kinds of sinus infections, pain inflammation, chronic fatigue and allergies. Egyptians and Greeks have been using it for centuries to treat these conditions.
Since elderberry is one of the most potent antiviral natural products its use to reduce herpes symptoms is obvious.
Elderberry fruit works on herpes virus in 3 different ways.
It stops multiplication of herpes simplex virus so your outbreak is less severe. This is a huge advantage as pain and discomfort significantly reduce. There is still no treatment to completely kill herpes virus inside your body. So whatever can reduce the pain and the time period of outbreak is the best remedy. Elderberry fits that bill very well.
Elderberries are high in antioxidants such as carotenoids and flavonoids. These and many other compounds in elderberries help to boost your immunity. In fact the best way to deal with herpes virus inside your body is to maintain high immunity.
So you really don't have to wait for the outbreak to happen. If you are aware herpes virus is sitting dormant in your body then you need to maintain our immunity throughout your lifetime to ensure that the outbreak doesn't happen. Adding elderberry and other immunity boosting foods in your daily diet is the answer to prevent future herpes and cold sore outbreaks.
The anti-inflammatory capabilities of elderberries helps to significantly reduce the pain, swelling and inflammation. This is a huge relief from the agony.
Elderberry is generally used ripe or in cooked form as the raw unripe fruit can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
You have to be careful as the leaves and stems of elderberries can be poisonous.
You can take elderberry for herpes as under:
This is the best way to consume elderberries to increase immunity and fight herpes.
What you need:
- Dried black elderberries
- Dried ginger root powder
- Pour 4 cups of water in a saucepan
- Add a cup of dried elderberries and a tablespoon of dried ginger root powder
- Bring it to boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes until the liquid is reduced to half
- Remove from heat and let it cool
- Mash the berries by spoon
- Strain and pour into a bowl
- Add 1 cup of raw honey once the liquid is completely cold
- Mix it well and fill in a glass jar
- Store it in refrigerator
- Take two tablespoons daily to increase your Immunity.
Take 2 tablespoons twice daily as soon as you see the first sign of herpes outbreak until the symptoms are gone.
You can also buy premade syrups of elderberry from grocery shops.
Elderberry tea is very refreshing and immunity boosting
What you need:
- Dried elderberries
- Ginger root
- Put 1 ½ cup of water and a tablespoon of dried elderberries into a saucepan
- Add finely chopped pieces if 1 inch of fresh ginger root
- Bring to boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and let it cool to palatable temperatures
- Strain it with fine mesh strainer
- Add a teaspoon of honey and stir well
- Enjoy the tea
- Drink it 2-3 times daily during the herpes outbreak
Elderberry extract is a concentrated liquid of this highly antiviral berry. For dozes look at the label on the bottle and consult your doctor. For different infections different doses are required and your doctor is the best guide.
Individual's immunity is a major factor to define whether there will be an outbreak of cold sore or not. Following tips and Precautions will help to prevent the outbreak as well as reduce pain and discomfort during the outbreak.
- Maintain our immunity by eating healthy foods exercise and reducing stress
- Eat food rich in L-lysine such as legumes, fish, turkey, chicken and certain vegetables
- Consume foods having antioxidants and Vitamin C such as oranges, tomatoes another red color fruits and vegetables.
- And Zinc rich food such as liver, grass-fed beef, pumpkin seeds, nuts, spinach and other green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid sugar alcohol packaged and processed foods acidic foods and food rich in L-arginine searches wheat and chocolates
- Don't kiss a person with cold sores
Bottom line is, take care. Herpes is not curable but its symptoms can be reduced with antiviral products such as elderberry and many other natural food items. Use them. Consult your doctor as well to monitor progress.