Constipation cases are rising due to the modern lifestyle. More people suffer from it than a decade ago. If you are more careful then you can avoid and treat it naturally.
Constipation can make you uneasy as your stools become hard and bowel movement may not occur for many days. Other symptoms of constipation include headache, nausea and restlessness. Sedentary lifestyle, drinking less fluids and eating foods low in fiber are some of the main causes of constipation. In some cases there may be an underlying disease which may cause constipation. In that case you need to consult your doctor.
There are many foods for constipation relief. Consider sweet potatoes as one of your options.
Table of Contents
- How do Sweet Potatoes Treat Constipation?
- How to Use Sweet Potatoes for Constipation?
- Sweet Potatoes and Babies
- Other Tips and Precautions
Sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest food items giving a range of health benefits.
They are the largest single source of vitamin A. Is single normal size sweet potato contains almost 4 times our daily requirement of vitamin A.
Vitamin A increases our immunity and capacity to fight against infections.
Sweet potatoes balance blood sugar levels, control blood pressure, help in lowering weight and provide a host of other health benefits.
They also are high in fiber. It is this capability of sweet potatoes that help in treating constipation.
Sweet potatoes are easy to cook. You can roast, bake or steam sweet potatoes to enjoy them.
Cooking sweet potato in a steamer is one of the best ways to get the maximum nutritional benefits of it. It is also the fastest way to cook them
For constipation relief try sweet potato in the following different ways
- Peel a sweet potatoes with a pelker or sharp knife.
- Cut it into in ½ inch circular shape pieces
- Put the potatoes in a steamer and add about inch of water at the bottom
- Put the lid and bring the water to a boil
- Remove the lid and let the steam to disappear
- check for tenderness
- Eat them to enjoy and get constipation relief
- Clean a sweet potato in water
- Cut horizontally in the middle into two or three pieces
- Put it in pressure cooker
- Add water to cover them
- Put the lid and pressure cooker
- Remove the lid when cooked
- Remove from water and peel the skin
- Mesh them and add 1 teaspoon of virgin olive oil
- Eat and enjoy.
You can also use virgin coconut oil in place of virgin olive oil.
Coconut oil and Olive oil also helps to relieve constipation. So you get double benefits.
In addition, adding fat to sweet potatoes also increases beta carotene absorption which gives long term health benefits. It protects from cancer according to a study.
Most babies respond well to the introduction of sweet potatoes for constipation relief.
Since babies have to get adjusted to solid food gradually some babies will respond well to introduction of any new solid food and not may get easily adjusted to some other food.
Change in food had potential to cause constipation in babies. So in some cases your already constipated baby may not get constipation relief. In some cases even otherwise normal babies may get constipation when she consumes it for the first time. Try prune juice for babies in case sweet poatoes don't work.
However, most babies begin to digest sweet potatoes well sooner or later.
Always start with giving small quantities of boiled sweet potatoes. You can add a little in baby formula and gradually increase the quantities later.
A child which has got adjusted to digest sweet potatoes well will generally get constipation relief with it.
Sweet potato in most cases are good for constipation relief but in some cases it can cause
- bloating and gases
- constipation but such cases are rare
- weight loss which is healthy
- stomach ulcer healing which again is good for health
So, the bottom line is that sweet potatoes are generally very good for your overall health. However, if your constipation is not resolved for some reason then you must consult a doctor.