The health benefits of dates cover almost every organ of the body, making it one of the most powerful fruit to fight many health conditions. It is a great fruit for breaking fast as prevents overeating.Dates are one of the sweetest fruits full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
Rich in Iron, magnesium and potassium dates prevent and cure iron deficiency anemia. They improve bone strength, relieve constipation and reduce blood pressure. Dates regulate cholesterol and improves your sexual health.
With numerous health benefits dates are your go to fruit. They are delicious, nutritious and healthy. Add them to your daily diet and reap the benefits.
Table of Contents
- What are the Dates and Their Different Types
- Nutritional Values of Dates
- 7 Incredible Health Benefits of Dates
- Precautions and Other Tips
The light to dark brown wrinkled surfaced fruit that is not only tasty but also offers multiple health benefits. Ripe Dates are generally consumed fresh, but dried dates are also popular. There are a large variety of dates available around the world.
They are sweet fruit belonging to palm family. Its scientific name is Phoenix dactylifera. It is believed that the dates palms originated from Iraq. Widely popular in the middle east, they come in large varieties differing in texture, taste and health benefits.
Dates are now cultivated in almost all parts of the world, yet the maximum production and consumption occurs in the middle east and south asia. Following are some of the most popular varieties of dates:
- Barhi - Yellow colored originated in Iraq
- Dayri - Black colored originated in Iraq
- Deglet Noor - Translucent light colored sweet known as queen of dates originated in Algeria and Tunisia
- Halawy - Black colored sweet dates originated in Iraq
- Hayani - Red to black colored originated in Egypt
- Iteema - Dark colored sweet and long originated in Algeria
- Medjool - Large size popular dates originated in Morocco
- Migraf - Golden amber colored large size originated in Yemen
There are many other types of dates from south asia, spain, california and other parts of the world which are generally hybrid varieties from the above dates.
Dates are highly nutritious fruit. Rich in dietary fiber, proteins and packed with rich contents of minerals like iron, potassium and magnesium. Following is the nutritional profile of 100 grams of dates dates.
- Calories 282
- Total Fat 0.4 g 0% DV
- Cholesterol 0 mg 0% DV
- Total Carbohydrate 75 g 25% DV
- Dietary fiber 8 g 32%DV
- Sugar 63 g
- Protein 2.5 g 5% DV
- Vitamin B-6 10%
- Sodium 2 mg 0% DV
- Potassium 656 mg 18% DV
- Calcium 3%
- Iron 5%
- Magnesium 10%
(Data source USDA - Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs)
Dates are not only delicious and nutritious but they offer many health benefits. Top 7 benefits are described as under.
Dates have high soluble fiber and also acts as a natural laxative. In order to get rid of constipation do the following.
- Soak dates overnight in water.
- Remove the seeds in the morning
- Put the dates without seeds and the water in a blender.
- Blend well to make a homogenous mixture
The fiber improves bowel movements and the laxative properties help to relieve constipation.
In addition to the constipation benefits, dates help in lots of intestinal problems. It's regular use kills harmful organisms and promote production of healthy bacteria inducing better digestive health.
Dates are rich in selenium, manganese, magnesium and copper, all of which are basic building blocks of healthy of building healthy bones. It helps to relieve age related aches and pains of bones such as osteoporosis.
Do the following:
- Add one glass of milk in a saucepan and put on heat
- Remove seeds from 2-3 dates and add them to milk
- Remove from heat once milk comes to boil
- Put the hot milk and boiled dates in a blender to mix well
- Drink and enjoy
Make it a daily routine for stronger bones.
Magnesium contained in dates helps to reduce blood pressure as well as potassium helps improve blood circulation. Both these minerals to get her not only regulate your blood pressure better but also reduces the possibility of stroke.
Do the following to control your blood pressure
- Eat dates daily to reduce blood pressure and avoid stroke.
- Add 45 minutes of walk daily
- Sleep well
With high mineral contents, dates are a powerful food for many health benefits. It's high iron content makes it a good food to get rid of iron deficiency anemia.
- Eat 2-3 dates daily
- Add spinach and other iron rich foods in your daily diet
Dates contain good amount of Vitamin B6 which is good for brain health. Children who suffer from memory related issues can benefit from regular consumption of dates and score better in their test.
- Boil seed removed dates in milk ( 2-3 dates per glass)
- Drink this milk daily in the morning
- Develop a habit of sleeping well every night
Dates promote healthy weight gain. They are complete diet in itself. With good amount of sugar, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals you get complete nutrition.
They are most beneficial in gaining weight when you are recovering from weakness due to prolonged weakness caused by a health condition. They are high calorie food item so eating 50-100 grams of dates daily can help to increase weight gradually without adding flab.
Dates are rich in many minerals like selenium, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper, phosphorus and sulfur. All these minerals help to maintain good nervous system health.
Use dates as afternoon snacks or eat during the morning breakfast daily to stay overall healthy.
If you buy fresh dates which are wrapped in plastic sheets in a box, then remove the plastic sheet and transfer the dates to a glass container.
- Store fresh dates in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to six months.
- Dried dates have longer shelf life and can be stored outside.
- Dried dates are full of sugar so consumed with restraints otherwise your blood sugar levels can rise.
- High amount of sugar and carbohydrates in dates can cause tooth decay so take precautions.
- Beware of the large seeds of dates. They can accidentally choke you.
Eating 4-5 dates daily is perfect to maintain good health. Over eating of any good thing is not good, so avoid over consumption.