An allergy is the response of your body's immune system to certain harmless substances in the environment which it might consider as a ‘Threat’. These substances cause no problems in most other people.
These allergy causing substances are called allergens. Some of the most common allergens which cause allergic reactions in some people are listed below:
- Food such as eggs, peanuts and tree nuts
- Certain medicine main cause allergic reactions
- Pollen from trees and grasses
- Moulds and insects
- House dust mites
- Pets such as dogs and cats
- Furry or hairy animals such as rabbits, pigs and horses
Symptoms of Allergy
It is fascinating to learn how the symptoms of allergy emerge. When an allergen enters your body triggers in antibody response. When the antibodies combat the allergens they release histamines and other substances. This causes swelling inflammation and eating of the surrounding tissues. As a result the following symptoms may appear:
- Itchy eyes, ears and throat
- Wheezing and coughing
- Sinus pain
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea and vomiting
How Turmeric Treats Allergies?
Turmeric with its antibiotic antiseptic anti inflammatory capabilities has been in use for treatment of various conditions ranging from cough and cold to infections and allergies. Here are some of the ways in which turmeric helps to get rid of the symptoms of allergies.
Turmeric is a natural antihistamine which prevents release of histamines. Once the release of histamines are prevented, the allergy symptoms subside.
Curcumin in turmeric, is a compound that acts as a decongestant, reduces congestion and improves release removal of mucus caused by allergy
Anti inflammatory capabilities of turmeric helps to reduce itching
Topical application of turmeric paste on rashes reduces itching sensation
How to use Turmeric for Allergies?
1. Turmeric in Cooking
Turmeric adds flavour to food as well as helps to deal with bacteria.
- Add turmeric in your regular diet plan
- Add turmeric in curries, fries, salads and other food items
2. Turmeric and Milk
If your throat is affected by the allergies, then turmeric is one of the old age tried and tested remedy to stop itching in the throat.
- Take one cup boiled warm milk
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well
- Slowly drink and enjoy
You can add black pepper powder which increases turmeric effectiveness many folds.
You can also add honey which also helps sore throat. Honey will also make the turmeric milk tasty.
3. Turmeric Honey Paste
Turmeric and honey paste works very well to treat sore throat caused due to allergies.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a crucible (small bowl)
- Add one teaspoon of honey gradually to make a thick paste
- Make sure that it is a thick paste which has more turmeric and less honey
- Keep small portion of the paste in the mouth and let it melt
Turmeric is a very powerful herb used for medicinal purpose. It is extensively used in South Asian countries in preparation for foods and curries. With all its health benefits there is nothing to worry about its use. However following precautions may be useful.
- Avoid taking turmeric if you are allergic to turmeric
- Avoid taking turmeric with milk if you are allergic to dairy products. Use water or soya milk in its place
- Add black pepper powder to increase the effectiveness of curcumin in turmeric.
- Turmeric can cause stains on clothes and body which may be difficult to remove
If you are allergies symptoms do do not disappear quickly with turmeric or any other home remedy then you should immediately consult your doctor. Sometimes allergic reactions can be fatal if not handled properly. However most allergic reactions go away without causing any damage to your body. While they are present they are irritating.