High blood pressure or hypertension is a blood circulation problem. It can cause multiple organ damage or failure in your body. It can rupture arteries in your brain, block blood supplies to heart, damage kidneys or even make you blind.
High blood pressure is generally caused by genetic disorders, sedentary lifestyle, higher intake of salt and consumption of birth control pills, pain killers or due to kidney diseases.
High blood pressure shows no symptoms in early stages. Many people come to know about it during a routine visit to doctor. Blood pressure reading above 140/90 is considered hypertension.
High blood pressure can be controlled by taking medicine and can be reduced by use of natural remedies and lifestyle changes.
Following home remedies for high blood pressure including some lifestyle change recommendations will help you to manage your blood pressure within normal range.
1. Low Salt Diet
Sodium in the common salt has been linked to elevation of blood pressure.
- Ensure that you eat low salt in all your food intakes.
- Keep a check on salt contents on the labels of all packaged food and buy only those which contain low salt.
- If possible avoid all preserved foods. Most food items with long shelf life have higher salt content.
Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C which helps in reducing clog in the arteries. Lemon can also be used to substitute salt in food. adding lemon and pepper can not only add taste to the food but in the longer term also completely remove dependence on salt for taste.
A scientific study conducted in japan suggest that a combination of consuming lemon and regular walking do reduce systolic blood pressure. Taking water extract of lemon peels also have shown reduction in the blood pressure.
You can consume lemon in the following ways for good results.
- Drink a glass of water mixed with a teaspoon of lemon juice daily. Don't add anything else to it. You can easily develop taste for it and avoid all carbonated and sugary commercial drinks.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on your salads as dressing along with olive oil. Eating more salad itself is beneficial to reduce your blood pressure.
Garlic lowers blood pressure, reduces pulse rate and modifies the heart rhythm. It also reduces cholesterol and reduces risks of heart diseases. Various scientific studies have proved that garlic can reduce blood pressure by 10% within a month by regular consumption.
- Garlic can be taken in different ways but the best is to take 2 raw cloves twice a day or take garlic capsules available in the stores.
- Add garlic to food. It makes certain food very tasty in addition to give you health benefits.
If you decide to take raw garlic then be aware that garlic can cause, bad breath, heartburn and allergic reactions in some people. However, generally garlic is very safe. Garlic also helps in other heart and blood related conditions such as hardening of arteries, cholesterol and coronary heart disease.
4. Watermelon Seeds
Both watermelon and its seeds have shown very good results in lowering high blood pressure. You can consume the seeds in many different ways.
- Eat roasted watermelon seeds daily in liberal quantities. Make sure that the seeds are roasted but unsalted.
- Crush dried watermelon seeds in grinder and store in glass bottle. You can add one table spoon of watermelon seed powder in daily cereals or to salads.
5. Carrot and spinach
Both carrot and spinach are very healthy foods and good source of potassium which helps in reducing high blood pressure.
- Make juice of both carrots and spinach and mist it in the ratio of 3:1 carrot spinach to fill one glass. Daily consumption this healthy and tasty drink will go a long way in lowering blood pressure.
- Eating raw carrots and spinach as cooked vegetables also helps lowering BP.
Parsley maintains the atrial system in a very healthy condition. Fresh beverage made from Parsley leaves simmered in water taken daily can be very effective to lower blood pressure. Take 25 gram of fresh Parsley leaves in 200 ml of water and simmer it. Drink the strained water.
Papaya contains potassium, a mineral and electrolyte that helps reducing blood pressure. Eat 250 - 500 gram of fresh ripe papaya everyday morning for a month to lower blood pressure.
Banana is also a high potassium fruit. It is easily available throughout the year. Eat one banana a day and keep your high blood pressure in control. Banana also is high fiber, so it provides double benefits of better metabolism and countering ill effect of sodium. Banana like any other potassium rich food counters sodium that we consume more than required.
If we reduce consuming salt on one hand and eat fruits and vegetables that contain high potassium then we are attaching the blood pressure from both angles.