- 7 Ways to Prevent Vomiting:
- Drink Ginger Tea to Stop
- Keep a Clove in Mouth
- Lemon Juice with Rock Salt
- Homey and Cardamom
- Prevent with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mint Tea To Stop Throwing
- Cumin Seeds for Instant Relief
You can save yourself from a lot of discomfort and avoid messing up the place around you if you learn simple ways to stop vomiting. It is sometimes good to vomit as the underlying cause subsides and you feel relieved.
When nausea preceded it, it is even possible to prevent vomiting, but if, it happens suddenly then it is difficult to do anything.
Vomiting like fever is a symptom, not a disease by itself.
It can be caused due to several basic conditions such as Migraine, Infections, Overeating, Pregnancy, Stomach upset and Flu etc.
But sometime vomiting can also be an early warning sign of one or more of serious conditions such as acute gastritis, chronic digestive conditions, Intestinal obstruction, Food poisoning, Poisoning, Accidental poisoning, Intestinal obstructions, Cholera, Peptic ulcers, Stomach cancer and Kidney failure.
The suggested home remedies are to stop vomiting caused by the basic reasons.
Let us first start to deal with the kind of vomiting that follows nausea. It is easier to prevent it.
So if you are feeling nausea and are likely to throw up then the following may soothe up the sensation and relieve you:
Drink small amount of sweetened liquids such as fruit juices and soda pops. Don't use acidic drinks like orange or grapefruit juices which generally worsen the condition. Sweetened liquids are better than plain water or milk. Ice cold liquids are even better. Sip it slowly rather than quickly gulping the liquids.
Stop activities and rest. Motion nausea and vomiting sensation can go away if you stop driving or get out of the vehicle for some time and drink sweetened ice cold liquids and begin your journey after some rest.
Resting in sitting up position is the best way to rest and get relief. Lying down slightly propped up is also good.
If you are throwing up because of simple reason of food poisoning or due to major underlying ailment then vomiting can't be prevented. It is a warning signal to go to the doctor. However if the vomiting is due to a mild food poisoning then the following precautions can help preventing it.
- Avoid eating the foods that don't suite you.
- If you eat out then ensure hygiene
- Avoid eating fried, greasy and sweet food
- Eat and drink slowly
- Don't mix hot and cold food
- Avoid activities after food
7 Effective Ways to Prevent Vomiting
Children are less tolerant to vomiting and get dehydrated faster. If common home remedies for vomiting are not working then consult doctor immediately because dehydration can be life threatening.
Ginger has many health benefits. It can be consumed fresh, dried, powdered and in the form of oil. Best form of ginger to use for stopping throwing up is tea made from chopped fresh ginger.
- Take a fresh ginger root wash it clean with fresh water to remove all the external settlements on the herb.
- Chop it fine. About ½ inch of finely chopped ginger root is enough for our purpose.
- Pour one glass of water in a heating vessel and add the chopped ginger. Heat it to boiling condition.
- Strain and pour the brew in a glass and let it cool to normal room temperature.
- Sip it slowly without any hurry to finish drinking it fast.
You can sweeten it with honey or sugar to make it tasty. Also, you can add ice. Both sweetened and iced liquids are better for controlling vomiting.
If required, you can prepare large quantity of ginger drink and store it in a container in your refrigerator for further use during the next couple of days.
You may be tempted to use the commercially available ginger ale sitting in your refrigerator for immediate use. If so, then take precaution to let all the fizz settle down after opening the can. Dilute it with equal amount of water and sip it slowly.
It can be used in many different ways. You can consume it in the raw or powdered or form. The fastest method is of course to get in the kitchen, grab a clove and keep it in your mouth. It will produce a nice aroma mixing slowly with your saliva.
If you have a tendency to get motion sickness and nausea during traveling, then keep a box of cloves handy. You can keep it in mouth even before beginning to feel nausea.
Children may find it difficult so don’t try this on them.
Another method to stop nausea and vomiting is to drink clove tea.
- Pour 1 glass of fresh water in a heating pot
- Add a bunch of cloves (about one quarter of teaspoon or 6-8 cloves)
- Heat it to boiling temperatures and simmer it some couple of minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Strain and sip it slowly.
Usually you should avoid all acidic citrus fruits such as oranges, grape fruit, lime and lemon etc. during nausea and vomiting, but using lemon with rock salt is a different story.
This is another one of the very useful methods to stop throwing up.
- Take a grass of water.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt powder.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon into the salt mixed water.
- Stir it well
- Add sugar to taste.
- Add couple of ice cubes and let it cool.
- Drink it by sipping it slowly.
The combination of sugar and salt also act as electrolyte to top up the salt and minerals lost during the vomiting. Therefore, this drink is also very useful even after you have vomited.
This is not only tasty drink but also is very effective in getting relief from vomiting
Cardamom belongs to ginger family of herbs therefore it is also a powerful ingredient to provide relief from the sensation of nausea and vomiting.
Many times it is just the feeling of nausea and vomiting that makes us uncomfortable but the vomiting may not occur at all. In such cases aromatic herbs such as cardamom is very useful.
- Crush two pods of cardamom with seeds. You can remove the seeds from the pods and crush them or even roast and crush it
- Remove the in-crushed pod skins and separate the powder.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and keep it in your mouth.Don’t chew or swallow.
- Let is just melt away in your mouth with the saliva and slowly get into your stomach through the throat.
- Do it 3-4 times a day
This should completely relieve you from the feeling of nausea if caused by basic benign reasons.If not see your doctor.
Apple cider vinegar has many therapeutic capabilities to provide health benefits, getting rid of nausea is just one of them.
It helps not only in nausea and vomiting sensations as in motion sickness but also help prevent morning sickness in pregnant women.
- Take glass full of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add half teaspoon of honey.
- Mix by stirring it well and sip slowly.
If you are pregnant woman and want to reduce morning sickness, then sip this concoction every night before going to sleep.
Mint with its aroma actually works on the root cause of nausea and vomiting by soothing the stomach. Many studies have found that mint has not been much helpful in stopping the nausea and vomiting though it does help in preventing it.
Therefore, mint is useful in preventing the predictable nausea and vomiting such as morning sickness and motion sicknesses. Both mint oil and mint tea can be used.
A drop of essential mint oil kept in a bowl of water and kept near the bed during the night of pregnant women daily can be useful in reducing the morning sickness in many cases. Though doctors have not found any natural method to completely remove morning sickness this method works to reduce it if used daily. It slowly begins to produce results after 4th day in some cases and no effect in the other. So it is a sort of method you need to try and see if it works for you.
Another method is to use mint tea. That seems to have worked in most cases if people from eastern Mediterranean countries have to be believed. Mint tea is in their regular daily routine to soothe the stomach.
If stomach is relaxed then there possibilities of nausea and vomiting reduces, hence this is a preventative method rather than curative to stop omitting.
- Take a bunch of mint leaves stems (6-8 stems)
- Wash and rinse them with clean water
- Add ½ liter of water in a pot and keep the pot on heating plate or a gas burner.
- Add the cleaned bunch f mint lave stems in the water
- Heat the water to boiling point and simmer it for 2 minutes.
Strain the tea in a jar and let it cool. You can drink 50-100 ml at a time by slowly sipping it. You can also keep the sealed jar in refrigerator and drink it cold. Drink this 3-4 times a day to keep your stomach in good relaxed order and avoid nausea and vomiting.
Cumin seeds or powdered cumin seeds both can give instant relief from nausea. Take a teaspoon of cum seed powder in your mouth and let it slowly mix with saliva and move to your stomach through the throat without the effort of chewing or swallowing. The powder reacts with pancreatic juices to facilitate easy digestion.
You can also consume cumin seeds directly by chewing about half a teaspoon of them to get the same effect.
If you are already nauseated then cumin tea prepared with boiling half a teaspoon of cumin seeds in glass of water will help stopping vomiting.
You would have observed that herbs aroma (ginger, cardamom and mint etc.) in tea along with sweetening effect of honey in cold liquid work in combination to prevent or stop vomiting.
If your nausea and vomiting doesn’t improve by above home remedies then you must consult your doctor. Vomiting is a symptom of underlying condition and a timely understanding of it can be very helpful in living a long and healthy life.