Impetigo treatment depends on the severity of the infection. You can get rid of mild impetigo at home but for severe impetigo you must consult your doctor.
Irrespective of the status of the condition, whether severe or mild, you must understand that this is a contagious condition. You must make sure that it doesn't spread to others. All social contacts should be avoided. School going children with impetigo shouldn't go to school until they are fully recovered. This is your social responsibility to ensure that no one is unnecessarily impacted by your lack of sensitivities towards its spread.
7 Ways to Get Rid of Impetigo Fast with Home Remedies
Following are some of the common and widely used practices to treat impetigo at home. You can select one or more that suit you. The secret of success lies in the regular use. Some of these methods will give you pain relief and others will help in healing the condition.
1. Hot Compress
Hot or warm compress soothes the inflammation, reduces the pain and dries out the lesions of impetigo. It also helps to stop bacteria from spreading. In fact it can kill some bacteria also.
- Wash cloths are better than the hot water bottles.
- Soak a washcloth in warm water and wring out the excess water
- Place it on the affected area for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the washcloth and clean it and soak again again in the hot water and repeat the process.
- Do it several times a day
2. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Scientists in the Uk have found a combination of grapefruit seeds extract and geranium oil as an effective antibacterial combination against MRSA in a 2004 study. Grapefruit has always been in use to fight infections for centuries.
- Add 2-3 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a tablespoon of water and mix well
- Apply the diluted extract on the affected area with a cotton ball
- Do it 2-3 times a day
- It will kill the bacteria and cure impetigo
Initially the application can give an itch on the skin. Resist the temptation to scratch.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil is antibacterial and antiseptic with strong anti-inflammatory capabilities. As a result it not only provides the relief against the inflammation but also kill the bacteria.
- Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil in a teaspoon of olive oil and mix well
- Apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse the area with warm water
- Do it 3 times a day
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is antimicrobial and antiinflammatory item which is used for treatment of many conditions. It can be effectively used as under to fight impetigo infection and get relief from the inflammation and pain
- Dab raw apple cider vinegar on the affected area
- Leave it there for 30 minutes and wash the with warm water
- Do it 2-3 times daily
Turmeric has been used for ages against fighting all kinds of infections. In a recent study curcumin, an active compound of turmeric has been found as a power antibacterial agent against the impetigo bacteria staphylococcus aureus.
- Make a thick paste of turmeric in apple cider vinegar
- Apply on the affected area
- Let it stay for 30 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
- Do it 3 times daily.
- Both apple cider vinegar and turmeric fight the bacteria.
Garlic is yet another antibiotic product with antiinflammatory properties to kill bacteria, reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- Eat a couple of garlic cloves either raw or in the cooking daily
- Mince a couple of cloves of garlic and fry it in two tablespoons of sesame oil
- Strain the oil and keep it in a sealed bottle
- Apply it on the affected area 3 times daily
Ginger improves immunity to fight with bacteria. It will speed up healing of impetigo infection.
- Grate half inch of a ginger root
- Toss it in a boiling pot and add one cup of water
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Strain and let it cool to palatable temperatures.
- Drink the prepared tea 2-3 times daily
Diet for Impetigo
Diet is always an important element of your overall health. Whether your are sick or not, correct diet will keep you out of trouble. When you are sick such as in the case of the bacterial infection in Impetigo, your diet should be able to fight infection, boost immunity and help you to recover fast.
Following food habits will help you to fight impetigo and recover you fast
- Drink lots of water and stay completely hydrated all the time. Drinking a glas of water every hour will increase your immunity to fight with the bacteria. Dehydrated body is too weak to deal with infections.
- Eat more fruits and juices in your diet
- Consume more vegetables and juices
- Avoid high protein diet and all kinds of animal protein
- Refrain from all kinds of refined sugars including white flour
- Do not eat fried foods
Precautions to Stop Spreading Impetigo
Since the streptococcus or staphylococcus aureus bacteria which causes impetigo is highly contagious, take the following precautions to stop spreading it.
- Avoid touching and scratching the affected area even if you get itching feeling. Scratching and picking can spread the infection in other parts of the skin.
- Stay away from coming in physical contact with others. No sharing of towels or bedsheets with anyone.
- Wash the infected cloths in warm water and dry them in the sunlight to get completely disinfected.
- Take daily bath with warm water
- Keep washing your hands as many times as you can
- Avoid complete socializing. Don't send the child to the school until full recovery is gained.