Oral thrush or simply thrush is a fungal infection (candida overgrowth) in a baby's mouth which can spread to mothers nipples. It is very painful when the baby latches to nurse.
Though the signs of thrush on the mother's nipples are not easily seen, but baby's tongue certainly is a clear indication of thrush when it gets a white quitting.
Mother's nipples can turn red and develope cracks which may lead to bacterial infection. So it is important to treat thrush immediately to avoid bacterial infection and all the pains and discomforts to both the baby and mother.
Prescription medicines like nystatin do not really produce good results as compared to a simple home remedy of using grapefruit seed extract.
How Grapefruit Seed Extract Treats Thrush?
Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) or citrus paradisi as it is scientifically known, has been widely used to kill all kinds of bacteria and fungi including candida. It has been found effective against more than 800 strains of bacteria and viruses as well as against 1000 strains of fungus.
Grapefruit seed extract is very helpful as it,
- Fights candida
- Removes fungus
- Deals with antibiotic resistant infection
- Works as general antimicrobial product
How to Use Grapefruit Seed Extract for Thrush?
You can use grapefruit seed extract alone or along with other natural antifungal products to treat thrush on your baby's mouth and on your nipples.
1. Routine Before Applying Grapefruit Seed Extract
The grapefruit seed extract will give best results if you practice the following
- Thrush is sensitive to sugar so reduce your sugar consumption to as low as you can.
- Give up alcohol until the thrush on your nipples and your baby's mouth is gone
- Eat at least 250 grams of plain yogurt daily to increase good bacteria in your guts.
- Take other prebiotics if required
2. Grapefruit Seed Extract Liquid
Grapefruit seed extract is bitter so difficult to consume. You have to dilute it with water before use
- Add 10-15 drops of GSE in a glass of water.
- Mix it well and drink it three times daily
- At the same time, add 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract in 5 drops of water and apply it on your nipples just after orally consuming it
- Apply the 1 drop GSE with 5 drops of water mix on your baby's tongue every hour
3. Grapefruit Seed Extract Capsules
If you don't like the taste of diluted grapefruit seed extract then,
- Take one capsule
- Repeat the above mentioned routine if applying it on your nipples 3 times daily
- Repeat the application on your baby's mouth every hour
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another powerful agent.
- Apply diluted apple cider vinegar on your nipples every hour
- Apply diluted GSE on the nipples every three hours as above
- Apply GSE on your baby's tongue as above
5. Grapefruit Seed Extract and Yogurt
- Eat 250 gram plain organic yogurt daily. You can eat it once or divide the quantity in 2 or 3 portions to a total of 250 grams daily.
- Apply yogurt on your nipples ever 3 hours. Keep it for 10 minutes and wash it off with water
- Apply diluted grapefruit seed extract 3 times a day as stated above
- Apply diluted grapefruit seed extract on your baby's tongue every hour
Grapefruit seed extract is a very powerful non toxic antimicrobial product. Take the following precautions while buying commercially available GSE.
Make sure that you buy grapefruit seed extract and not grape seed extract. They are two different products for different uses.
- Always read the list of ingredients before buying the product
- Make sure it is free of harmful chemical benzethonium chloride and triclosan
- Always buy reputable brands
Oral thrush is painful for both mother and the baby. Treat it with natural remedies and get rid of it within a week or two.