Cold sores also known as fever blisters are caused by a highly contagious herpes simplex virus Type 1 (HSV 1). Breakouts usually occur around the lips nose and chin. They are tiny, fluid filled and painful blisters. They are spread with intimate personal contact or contact with the utensils, razors, towels or other shared items.
Garlic is an effective home remedy for cold sores. It reduces symptoms, provides pain relief and helps in healing fast.
Most cold stores are filled with use of topical application of medicines which invariably have side effects. However use of garlic and other natural products have no side effects but they provide almost similar benefits.
Once you catch HSV 1, it remains dormant in your body for ever. You always will have risk of cold source breakout when your immunity is low. Maintain good immunity and stay away from cold sores.
How Garlic Helps to Heal Cold Sores?
Garlic helps you in healing your photos fast as well as improve your immunity due to the following;
- Its topical application of garlic helps in healing cold sores in the short term and internal consumption of garlic increases immunity in the long term.
- It Contains allicin, a compound that reduces inflammations and heels.
- It contains enzymes that are antimicrobial and anti-virus.
- Kyolic, a compound in garlic kills viruses.
- Another useful compound indole -3- carbinol (I3C) improves the immunity to lower probabilities of further break outs.
How to Use Garlic for Treating Cold Sores?
You can use garlic in number of following different ways to reduce the symptoms of cold sores, get pain relief and ultimately heal the blisters quickly.
1. Garlic Cloves
You can place pieces of garlic cloves on the cold sores to reduce swelling and inflammation and to heal them fast.
- Peel and slice a garlic clove in two pieces vertically
- Take a cotton ball and keep one slice of garlic on the cotton facing the sliced front out
- Apply the garlic slice on the cold sore. Keep the slice gently pressed for 5 minutes in the same place.
- It will sting initially and if you can bear the initial pain then it will help you to heal fast
- Remove and throw the garlic slice and cotton ball safely
- Wash and dry the area
- Do it regularly until sores disappear
2. Garlic Paste
Garlic paste achieved the same objective as the slices, but it is easier to apply
- Crush and grind a garlic clove with the help of mortar and pestle
- Add little water to make thick paste.
- Apply on the code sore. Use Qtip or cotton ball
- Leave it there for 5 minutes
- Remove, wash and dry the area
- Do it daily
3. Garlic Juice
Garlic juice is more concentrated form of garlic nutrients. It is easiest to apply and most effective.
- Extract juice from a bid garlic clove
- Apply the juice with qtip on the cold sores
- Leave it for 5 minutes
- Rinse off with water and dab it dry
- Repeat daily
4. Garlic Powder
If you don't have fresh garlic, the garlic powder will do a good job of healing cold sores
- Take a pinch of garlic powder and add few drops of water to make paste
- Apply the paste on the cold sores with a cotton ball
- Leave it for 5 minutes
- Wash and dry
- Do it daily
5. Garlic Oil
Garlic oil needs a carrier for more effective use.
- Add garlic oil and olive oil in equal quantities
- Apply on the cold sore with qtip
- Leave it overnight
- Rinse with water and dry
- Apply daily until cold sores are gone
6. Garlic Capsules
This method of consuming garlic is for improving immunity so that the outbreaks of cold sores don't occur in the future. This is one of the best ways to consume garlic if you don't like to eat it raw or in the food.
- Consult a doctor to decide the quantities of capsule to take daily. Depending on the brand and potency the requirements May differ.
- Your medical history will also play a role in deciding the quantities
- It is a slow method so you will have to continue to take it for long time increase your immunity.
7. Garlic and Honey
Garlic and honey is another powerful combination to deal with viruses
- Crush a garlic clove
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey and mix well
- Apply on the cold sores
- Rinse and Pat dry
Include Garlic in Your Daily Meals to Avoid Further Cold Sores Outbreaks.
When our immunity is low many diseases can attack. The first attacks come from the government viruses and bacteria line inside the body searches tuberculosis and herpes simplex viruses.
Therefore it is very important to maintain high immunity which can be attained through consuming proper nutritious diet, practicing regular exercise and reducing stresses.
Garlic is a immune boosting food item. You can consume it raw or add it to your food.
- Eat 1-2 raw garlic cloves daily. This may be difficult due to the pungent nature of garlic but it is the most healthy way to improve immunity to protect against cold sores outbreaks
- Consume garlic capsules daily if you don't like raw garlic. This is the best alternative to the raw garlic
- Add garlic to your cooking. Although some of the nutrients are lost during cooking, it is still a good way to slowly boost your immune
Other Tips and Precautionary Measures
- Initially the application of Garlic in any form on cold sores maybe painful and stinging, but the pain will reduce in subsequent applications.
- If you have sensitive skin, then avoid using garlic topically. Use other natural remedies such as ice for cold sores.
- Garlic juice is concentrated form of garlic, make sure it doesn't get into your eyes.
- Be careful in applying anything on cold sores as the applied material should just stay where it is applied otherwise cold sores will spread.
- Always apply garlic with a separate cotton ball on each affected area and throw away the cotton balls safely.
- Direct consumption of two or more cloves of garlic can cause stomach disorders, so be careful.
- Regular consumption of Garlic make calls bad breath nausea and bloating, so be prepared.
- Brush your teeth after consuming garlic and use mouthwash to control bad breath.
- Garlic may interfere with blood thinning medicines. If you are taking any blood thinners then check with your doctor to adjust the doses, if required.
- Reduce your stresses to improve immunity
- Eat nutritious diet
If you follow good nutrition, reduces stresses and improve your immunity then garlic will heal cold sores fast and without any adverse side effects.