Chia seeds not only improve your immune system but are also great for the beauty of your hair and skin. These tiny diminutive seeds belonging to mint family are a powerhouse of health benefits.
Your skin and hair require nourishment from inside and outside the body to stay healthy and glowing. Chia seeds provides those nourishing minerals and vitamins to your skin and hair. The chia seeds are hydrophilic, when soaked in water they can swell up to 12 times of their original size.
How Chia Seeds Nourish Your Skin and Hair?
Chia seeds contain the following nutrients which are key to good skin and hair health.
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant which neutralizes free radicals. This reduces wrinkles and protects from premature aging of the skin. In addition, when applied directly on the scalp and massaged, vitamin E improves blood circulation in the capillaries to make your hair healthy and shiny.
- Omega-3 - Omega-3 in Chia seeds offers multiple health benefits. Heart, brain and bones benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids are very well documented but its skin health benefits are lesser know. They increase collagen to improve texture and appearance of the skin. They reduce dryness and inflammation.
- Protein - Your hair are made of protein called keratin. Dry and damaged hair can be restored to their original glory by moisture and proteins. Chia seeds provide both moisture and proteins to keep your hair healthy.
- Magnesium - Magnesium improves skin health. Chia seeds contain good amount of magnesium to keep your skin hydrated and nourished. If you have dry and rough skin, then you will benefit the most. Magnesium moisturizes the dry skin and reduces the roughness and inflammation for it to become smooth and radiant.
- Zinc - Chia seeds are one of the best vegan sources if zinc which is vital for normal growth and development of your body and immune system. The antioxidant property of zinc repairs the damaged skin and heal acne fast. That us why zinc is an important ingredient of all kinds of skin creams and ointments.
How to Use Chia Seeds for Improving Your Skin
1. Chia Seeds Skin Pack
This requires soaking of Chia seeds before using it on your skin
- Grind 4 tablespoons of Chia seeds into fine powder and put them in a bowl
- Add one cup of water to soak for 30 minutes. It will become a soft thick paste
- Apply this paste on your face, neck, hands and other exposed body parts
- Keep it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
- Do it daily to get and retain a smooth glowing healthy skin
2. Chia Seed Oil and Yogurt
Chia seed and yogurt face masks improves your facial skin
- Take one tablespoon of Chia seed oil
- Add one tablespoon of organic yogurt
- Mix well and apply as face mask for 30 minutes
- Do it twice a week to maintain radiant skin
3. Chia Seed Oil and Eggs
This face mask is even more potent to increase the luster of your skin
- Take 1 teaspoon of Chia seed oil in a bowl
- Add white if 1 egg
- Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- Mix well
- Wash your face with warm water and dab it dry with a towel
- Apply the prepared Chia seed oil egg yogurt mask
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Remove it with warm water rinse
- Do it once every week for sustainable results
How to Apply Chia Seeds for Damage Hair Restoration
Chia seeds will bring back the old glory of dry and damaged hair.
- Soak one tablespoon of Chia seeds in water for 30 minutes
- Strain the excess water
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the soaked and strained chia seeds
- Apply the mix on your hair from the roots to the ends of all the hair strands
- Keep and for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with mild herbal shampoo
- Do it once every week to maintain healthy shiny hair
You can also use chia seeds and Chia seed oil with many other natural moisturizing ingredients such as coconut oil, almond oil and olive oil to make your own face and hair masks to improve overall health if your skin and hair.