Acid Reflux is a very common condition in which stomach acids start flowing back up into the food pipe. This causes burning sensation known as heartburn around the lower chest area. Acid Reflux is also known as acid indigestion or pyrosis.
Occasional Acid Reflux is normal, but if you have more than two incidences of acid reflex per week then the condition is diagnosed as gastroesophageal Reflux disease (GERD) requiring more attention as compared to the acid reflux.
Almond milk and many other natural home remedies can treat Acid Reflux effectively. So, instead of reaching out to prescription or OTC medicines go for natural remedies for your heartburn caused by acidity.
How Almond Milk Helps in Acid Reflux?
Almond milk has many properties that help in reducing symptoms of acid reflux. The main properties are as under:
- Helps to neutralize the acids due to its alkaline nature and stops heartburn.
- provides protecting coating in the esophagus and stomach linings
- Improves digestion as almond milk is rich in antioxidants, manganese and magnesium
- Reduces inflammation in the digestive tract due to presence of omega -3 fatty acids in almond milk
- Assists LES to contract properly due to calcium in almond milk
How to Make Almond Milk?
Although you can get almond milk from your grocery shop, it is better to prepare fresh at home. This way you can ensure that no unnecessary additives are consumed when you use it to get rid of acid reflux. Following is a simple way to prepare almond milk
- Toss one cup of Almonds in a container.
- Add two cups of water or more as required to cover the almonds completely with water.
- Put a lid on the container and let it soak overnight
- Drain the water in the morning
- Peel off the brown cover from each almond
- Put the peeled almonds in a blender
- Add 3 cups of fresh water and run the mixer
- Use a cheesecloth to extract almond milk
- You can store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days
5 Ways to Use Almond Milk for Acid Reflux
You can use almond milk on its own or with many other food items that are also acid reflux friendly. These combinations will not only get rid of your acid reflux but will also please your tastebuds.
1. Almond Milk
You can drink chilled almond milk to get rid of acid reflux and heartburn.
- Prepare almond milk as explained above
- Store it in refrigerator
- Drink it chilled when symptoms of acid reflux occurs
- Use packaged almond milk if you have no stock of homemade almond milk
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey if you prefer
Since homemade almond milk requires overnight soaking, it is likely that you may not have ready almond milk in your refrigerator. In that case buy from grocery shop.
2. Banana Almond Milk Smoothie
This is the most basic smoothie of almond milk but very effective as banana also help in reducing acid reflux symptoms.
- Peel, cut one normal ripe banana and put it in a blender mixer
- Add one cup of almond milk
- Run the blender to make the smoothie
- Add one tablespoon honey if you prefer otherwise the required sweetness is provided by banana
3. Avocado Almond Milk Smoothie
Avocado is high calorie healthy fat that helps in reducing heartburn caused by acid reflux.
- Add 1/2 peeled and cut avocado in a blender
- Add half peeled and cut banana
- Add one cup almond milk
- Blend it well to make great this tasting smoothie
4. Oatmeal and Almond Milk
You can use oatmeal almond milk daily to stay healthy and prevent acid reflux.
- Cook Oatmeal in almond milk for 10 minutes until it becomes soft
- Add banana slices
- Eat daily as your morning breakfast
5. Papaya Almond Milk
Papaya soothes your stomach lining and reduces acid reflux.
- Add half cup of ripe papaya pieces
- Add one cup of almond milk
- Add half banana
- Blend well
Acid Reflux can be easily controlled with weight reduction, diet control and exercise. Take following precautions while dealing with your heartburn.
- Always use fresh almond milk
- Resist over consuming as almonds in large quantities can cause Acid Reflux
- Continue using almond milk for a week even after the symptoms of Acid Reflux disappear
- Stop those food items which are causing Acid Reflux
- Do not sleep immediately after a heavy meal
- Never overeat anyway
- Stay fully hydrated by drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water daily
- Do not lead a sedentary lifestyle become active and do some regular exercise daily
If all the above advice and almond do not resolve your Acid Reflux problem then consult a doctor.