Do you get acid reflux often? You certainly don't like that heartburn usually caused after eating certain types of foods. This burning sensation in the chest occurs when stomach contents move up into the esophagus.
Eating more food than required or eating certain types of foods which are highly acidic, fatty or spicy are some of the main causes of acid reflux. If the valve between esophagus and stomach is weak, then the food which is supposed to move only one way down can move up.
Low sugar and fiber rich foods like oatmeal and other whole grain foods can very effectively control acid reflux. Oatmeal is an excellent remedy for your acid reflux and heartburn as it can be quickly and easily used in many different dishes to keep you tastebuds satisfied as well as control the burning sensation in the chest.
How Does Oatmeal Controls Acid Reflux?
Oatmeal is a versatile food. It helps acid reflux in the following multiple ways.
- High fiber content help to absorb fluids and acids and help to smoothly move the food in the intestine
- Whole grains like oatmeals neutralize the stomach acidity
- Selenium and other antioxidants in the oatmeal protect the lining of esophagus
- Oatmeal mixed with other low fat low sugar ingredients not only satiate your hunger with less but also control acid reflux and heartburn
- Thiamine, niacin and Vitamin B6 in oatmeal control the acid reflux naturally
- Oats will reduce your hunger and help to reduce weight which in long term help you to completely free of acid reflux if you maintain a balanced diet.
How to Use Oatmeal to Treat Heartburn and Acid Reflux ?
You can cook oatmeal alone or with other healthy foods to make a sumptuous meal. Of course plain oatmeal will also do a good job, but why not make it more interesting and tasty?
Following oatmeal recipe will help you to relieve your acid reflux instantly.
- Cook 1/4 cup of oatmeal in a cup of water
- Wait until you see water begins to become viscous ;
- Remove it from the heat
- Add a peeled and sliced banana
- Enjoy the meal in your breakfast
You can always ad different fruits and nuts such as:
- Steamed vegetables
- Non Citrus Fruits such as melons, apples, pears
- Egg whites
- Aloe Vera
- Walnuts, flaxseeds,
- Olive Oil, Sunflower oil
If you have not overeaten but are feeling heartburn after food, then take oatmeal. It will subside acid reflux instantly.
Your objective certainly is not to just instantly get relief from the current episode of acid reflux but also to stop future recurrences. If you take the following precautions than you will certainly be able to get rid of acid reflux for good.
- Avoid all high fat content fried items
- Reduce tomatoes and citrus fruits in your diet
- Give up chocolates
- Say no to garlic, onions
- No spicy food
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Don't consume mint in any form
- Lose weight
- Eat smaller portions of meals at a time
- Don't lie down after food
- Quit smoking
- No carbonated beverages
Following medications may also cause acid reflux in some cases. Check with your doctor and replace them with more safe medications
- Painkillers - The Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID's)
- Hypertension medications such as calcium channel blockers
- Iron tablets
- Certain Asthma medicines
- Certain seasonal Allergy medicines
Acid reflux can be controlled if you take precautions and maintain your eating habits in line with the norms of healthy living then you not have heartburn.