Gallstones are pieces of solid material accumulated in the gallbladder, an organ located under your liver. Almost 80% of the Gallstones are yellow green colored calcified cholesterol stones. Rest of them are smaller and darker made from bilirubin, a bill fluid made by liver and stored in the gall stones.
Gallstones generally do not produce any symptoms until they block a bile duct. That is when you begin to get abdominal pain and bloating. Your weight and diet can cause gallstones. Other causes include genetic predisposition and problems in the gallbladder.
Most gallstones can be removed naturally. Lemon juice is used for gallstones dissolution as a simple but effective home remedy.
Why Lemon Juice is Good for Dissolving Gallstones?
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. The citric acid and vitamin c are considered good for naturally dissolving calcification. That is why Lemon Juice has been in use for centuries to treat kidney stones and gallstones. Since lemon also has antimicrobial capabilities it helps to reduce infections in the gallbladder and reduce the pain.
- Pectin in lemon juice reduces bloating nausea and pain
- Lemon juice reduces cholesterol formation in liver helping fast recovery.
- Citric acid in lemon juice not only dissolves the gallstones but also helps in flushing them out and clear the ducts to release bile
How to Use Lemon Juice in Dissolving and Passing Gallstones
Lemon juice on its own and along with other natural ingredients can be used in many different ways to dissolve and get rid of your gallstones. Choose whatever suits you from the following ways to remove the painful stones from your gallbladder.
1. Lemon Juice Alone
In order to get the best results you need to drink concentrated lemon juice. This might be not easy for most people.
- Squeeze the juice out of too large lemons
- Add equal amount of water, if you have to, to reduce concentration
- Drink it empty stomach every morning
- Drink it with a straw to avoid contact of lemon juice with your teeth
- Drink a glass of water after finishing drinking lemon juice
- Do it daily to remove gallstones.
- Stop using it if you are getting Acid Reflux
2. Lemon Juice with Ginger
Lemon juice and Ginger is an excellent combination to dissolve gallstones. It acts with double impact because it also helps to reduce weight.
- Great an inch of Ginger root after properly cleaning it
- Squeeze the juice out of grated Ginger through a strainer
- Cut two lemons and squeeze their juice
- Mix lemon and Ginger juice well
- Add same quantity of water in the Lemon Ginger juice mix
- Mix well and drink.
- Drink it daily to get rid of gallstones
Ginger is also antibiotic and anti-inflammatory so it will help in pain relief too.
3. Lemon Juice with Turmeric
- Squeeze out the juice of 2 lemons
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder
- And one glass of warm water
- Mix all ingredients very well
- Drink it with a straw and enjoy the drink.
- Drink it daily to remove gallstones
4. Lemon Juice with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar fights with the cholesterol produced by liver. In actually reduces the cholesterol in the body. This reduction in cholesterol is very useful in preventing in dissolving gallstones.
- Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- And one glass of water
- Mix all ingredients well
- Drink the concoction sip by sip with the help of a straw
- Drink eat daily before your breakfast to remove stones from your gallbladder
5. Lemon Juice With Beetroot Juice
Beetroot helps to cleanse liver and gallbladder. With lemons capabilities to dissolve gallstones beetroot juice acts as a catalyst to expedite removal of gall stones.
- Extract juice of one beetroot
- Add juice of one lemon
- Mix it well and Drink
- Do it daily to get rid of gallstones.
6. Lemon Juice with Pear Juice
Pear contains high levels pectin which softens the cholesterol. Combined with lemon juice, it becomes very effective. The loosened cholesterol can soften gallstones and flushes them out.
- Cut a pear in small pieces and toss it into a blender jar
- Add half glass of water and blend
- Take out the blend in a glass
- Add juice of one lemon
- Mix it well and drink
- Do it regularly to get rid of gallstones.
7. Lemon Juice with Celery
Celery not only softens the gallstones but also acts as a natural laxative to prevent constipation. In fact if you can control constipation you can lower the probabilities of getting gallstones. So celery is a double edge sword for gallstones.
- Boil handful of celery in a cup of water for 5 minutes
- Strain the water and let it cool
- Add juice of one lemon and mix well
- Drink it daily to dissolve your gallstones.
8. Lemon Juice with Olive Oil
Olive oil reduces solidification and calcification of cholesterol. A regular use can soften the already formed stones and flush them out from the gall bladder.
- Take two table spoons of virgin olive oil
- Extract juice of a lemon
- Mix olive oil and lemon juice
- Drink the concoction in one go
- Do it daily until gallstones are gone.
Almost all of these remedies will take about a month or more to completely get rid of your gallstones.
Are You at Risk of Gallstones?
Following factors can put you into the higher risk area of getting gallstones.
- Genetics - If you are genetically predisposed to have gallstones then you are likely to get them. However, a habit of drinking lemon juice regularly can reduce the probabilities.
- Obesity - This is the biggest man made risk factor. Obesity increases cholesterol in the body which is the main underlying cause for 80% of gallstones.
- Diabetes - Diabetes and its medication invariably increases triglyceride levels which is a very fine LDL cholesterol. This increases probabilities of getting stones in the gallbladder.
- Medicines - Certain medicines increase manufacturer of cholesterol in the liver causing Gallstones.
- Fast Weight Loss - Lowering your weight too quickly can cause accumulation of cholesterol in the gallbladder causing stones
- Old Age - People of old age are more likely to get gallstones as compared to younger ones if all other factors are same
- Dilute lemon juice and drink as it can erode enamel on your teeth.
- Wash your mouth with warm water after drinking lemon juice to protect your teeth enamel.
- High consumption of lemon juice can cause acid reflux
- Avoid using lemon juice if you are already suffering from heartburn
- Avoid fatty foods and eat more fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C.
- Lower your weight slowly if you are overweight
- Reduce stress by deep breathing and meditation
Though lemon juice has been in use for centuries to dissolve gallstones medical practitioner still do not recommend it as there are not much research done on this.
You should always consult your doctor when you take up any home remedy to resolve any medical condition. Keeping doctor in the loop helps to change path quickly if things do not workout.