For centuries women have been using cranberry juice to prevent and treat UTI.
A lot of research has been done on this topic and the findings are contradicting each other. A recent study suggest insignificant benefit from cranberry juice in the urinary tract infection.
So, what does it mean? Should you take cranberry juice or not? Most doctors still recommend drinking a glass of cranberry juice day, if you have UTI. But, they also suggest that you need to do more than just taking cranberry juice. Maintain proper hygiene, drink lots of fluids, take other natural remedies and if required take antibiotics.
The irony of antibiotics is that the bacteria e-coli which is responsible to cause urinary tract infection is becoming immune to antibiotics. All these findings make the treatment of UTI more complex than ever before. Natural methods, therefore still remain the preferred method.
How Good is Cranberry Juice for UTI ?
The answer is simple. It is good but Not much. Taking cranberry juice will give you some insignificant benefits, but it will certainly not harm you. So consume cranberry juice during your UTI episodes. It is a healthy drink anyway with following nutrients.
- Only 117 calories in one cup (253 ml) of unsweetened cranberry juice
- Rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and salicylic acid
- 87% water, so it provides additional fluid quantity intake to flush out bacteria urinary tract walls
- Reduces recurrence of UTI in those women who have had more than 3 instances of UTI in the last 5 years according to a study.
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Helps in weight loss
- Strengthens bones and teeth
- Prevents respiratory infections
It is a blood thinner so if you are taking blood thinning medication then you must consult your doctor.
How to Use Cranberry Juice for UTI?
Drinking cranberry juice alone not taking it with other natural ingredients can significantly improve your urinary infection complications.
1. Water and Cranberry Juice
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily at an interval of one glass for our
- Continuous supply of water will help to prevent multiplication of bacteria and flush out the bacteria already in the urinary tract
- Drink one glass of unsweetened cranberry juice daily
2. Vitamin C and Cranberry Juice
- Consume lots of vitamin C rich Foods if you have an active UTI
- Drink fresh orange juice or eat oranges
- Drink unsweetened lemon juice
- Take vitamin C supplements
- Drink 1 glass of cranberry juice
3. Bladder Irritants and Cranberry Juice
You need to cut the food items that irritation bladder.
- No alcohol
- Avoid caffeine
- Don't eat spicy food
- Stop all kinds of carbonated drinks and sodas
- No artificial sweeteners
- Avoid sweets
- Drink a glass of cranberry juice
4. Orange and Cranberry Juice
- Mix cranberry juice and orange juice in equal quantities to drink
- This vitamin C rich cocktail is tasty as well as healthy
- Drink it only 1 or 2 glasses of orange cranberry juice cocktail otherwise you will consume too many calories
- Drink more water throughout the day
5. Urinate Frequently
- Urinate every time you get slightest urge
- More urine you excrete more bacteria you loose and quicker you recover
- Keep drinking water after every urination
In addition to focusing on treatment of UTI take the following precautions to get the best results as well as to avoid future occurrences
- Do not consume too much our cranberry juice as it can be dangerous for your kidneys. 1 glass per day is good enough
- Take additional natural ingredients such a sweet such as vitamin C rich fruits
- Take antibiotics if your UTI is not controlled with natural methods. You doctor is your best guide to recommended doses.
- Cranberry Juice is a blood thinner so if you are taking blood thinning medication then check with your doctor.
Cranberry juice, though not very powerful to treat urinary tract infections, is still a useful natural remedy to prevent and treat UTI. Use it under control. Don't go overboard by drinking a ton if it. One glass per day is what you need.