Diabetes is one of the fastest growing health condition which bothers nations now. Most countries have run awareness campaigns to control diabetes . This slow killer disease impacts all your organs and slowly degenerate them over the period of decades to no points of return.
Regular health check up is necessary and people suffering from diabetes should monitor and control their blood sugar levels.
There are a number of natural remedies and dietary changes that can control and even reverse diabetes type 2.
It has also been found to improve glycemic control and glucose tolerance. Some researchers have found not much evidence of bitter melon controlling diabetes. More research is required on this highly acclaimed food item to control diabetes.
Bitter melon has also been found to control fever, reduces pain during menstruation, improves skin conditions, reduces chronic cough and helps in healing burns faster. Another research work from Saint Louis University in the US indicate that the extract from bitter melon can kill breast cancer cells and prevent them from spreading.
How to Take Bitter Melon for Diabetes
You can consume bitter melon in number of ways to control your diabetes. The only limiting factor is its better taste and it becomes very difficult to develop it taste for this bitterness. Following are some of the ways in which you can eat I drink bitter melon juice with varying degree of bitter taste.
Bitter Melon and Onions
This is perhaps the best way of eating bitter melon without losing any of its properties in trying to reduce the bitterness of the taste. Adding salt can certainly reduce the bitterness, but if you have high blood pressure then this extra intake of salt may not be advisable.
If you eat bitter melon with onion in the following way then you will not require any other method particularly after developing a taste for bitter melon and onion together.
- Cut 100 grams of bitter melon in very small pieces of roughly 5 mm size each. A medium size bitter melon will roughly weigh hundred grams.
- Cut double amount of onion in slightly bigger size then bitter melon pieces
- Mix all the pieces bitter melon in onion
- Add juice of half lemon and mix well.
- Eat the mixture with spoon.
- Chew it well
You can add tomatoes and cucumbers to further reduce bitterness.
Eat this salad every day for 30 days. This will also reduce your hunger. Low food intake also will benefit diabetes type 2.
Other Methods of Consuming Bitter Melon
You can eat bitter melon in many different ways. Some of the useful methods in terms of controlling diabetes effectively are described as under. You can develope your own combinations to suite your taste. make sure that the ingradients you add to bitter melon are diabetes freindly.
Bitter Melon Juice
- Make juice of bitter melon tomato and cucumber together and drink it daily.
- 1 medium size bitter melon 1 large size tomato in 1 medium size cucumber is enough for 1 day's requirement.
- Add lemon juice if you prefer
Stir Fry Bitter Melon
- Cut thin round slices of bitter melon
- Stir fry them with others vegetables of your choice
- Onion will be your best companion here also to reduce the bitterness of bitter melon
- Green bell peppers and baby corn will add taste to these stir fry vegetables
Take Bitter Melon Supplements
Bitter melon supplements are generally available in capsule forms in Asian grocery shops or natural food stores. You can take a 500mg capsule of bitter melon twice a day.
Whichever method you apply to consume bitter melon to treat your diabetes, please ensure to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly.