Diabetes is one of the main causes of many life threatening diseases including cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately the number of incidences of diabetes is increasing globally due to Lifestyle and dietary habits.
Almonds are very good for diabetics. Soaked Almonds have been used for various health benefits in the Indian subcontinent for ages. If you are a pre diabetic or even already have diabetes type 2 then you must include all months in your daily diet. They are high calorie nuts, therefore you must reduce calories intake from other sources to get the maximum benefits from the inclusion Almonds in your diet.
How Almonds Impact Diabetes Type 2 Patients?
Almonds are highly nutritious tree nuts full of vitamins, minerals, proteins and other nutrients that help to control diabetes.
- Magnesium - Almonds are rich in Magnesium which reduces the risk of developing diabetes type 2
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids - Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) contents of Almonds help to lower triglycerides and sugar levels in the blood to reduce the risks of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
- Monounsaturated fatty acids- High content of monounsaturated fatty acids in Almonds improves the lipid profile of diabetic and pre diabetic patients
- Fiber - Almonds are fiber rich and high fiber diet improves metabolism and increase insulin resistance
- Vitamin E - High plasma content of vitamin E levels reduces risks of diabetes
Another study earlier published in June 2010 in the Journal of American College of Nutrition (2) indicated that almonds increase insulin sensitivity in the prediabetes patients.
How Many Almonds Should You Consume ?
It is not just about how many Almonds should you eat daily, but it is also about how should you eat them?
Eating an ounce of Almonds daily will be very beneficial to your overall health. Depending on the size of almonds an ounce will have 21 to 25 nuts which is about 160 calories intake.
Do not consume roasted and salted Almonds and they do not provide you the same benefits as the raw almonds.
The best way to eat Almonds is to soak them overnight and eat them in the morning with your breakfast. Learn more about the benefits of soaked almonds.
Other Benefits of Almonds
Almonds and only beneficial for diabetes but they provide the following range of multiple health benefits.
- Lower high blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Prevents oxidation of low density lipoproteins LDL Reduces hunger to lower your calorie intake automatically Help in weight loss
- Improve memory and brain power
- Lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Improve your immunity
- Improve your overall health of your skin
- Prevents cancer
Almonds are great for controlling diabetes and other health conditions but you must take the following precautions to get the maximum out of these nutritious healthy nuts:
- Consuming an Ounce of Almonds daily is good for you.
- Don't overindulge as Almonds are high calorie food item
- Consuming roasted and salted Almonds will not provide the same benefits as the raw almonds. In fact salt is harmful to your heart health
- Consume soaked Almonds as they provide the maximum health benefits
As you can see Almonds are an excellent source of energy with multiple health benefits. Consumer NOS of Almonds daily to control your diabetes and stay away from range of other Health problems.